Re: Moving to Non-FiOS Area and Being Charged Contract Breach Fee
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Lots of service providers have ETF on their contracts.

Sign a 2 year agreement for cell service and then move to an area where it isn't covered.

You will pay the ETF.

Most people don't bother to read the terms of their contracts before signing up.

Now if you were told there would be no ETF, when in fact there was one, that is a different story.

Good luck with the service provider at your new location.

My guess is that they will have an ETF if you sign a contract for a fixed priced.

0 Likes
GitaKM

It is not the question of paying the termination fee.  But to claim they have service when in reality they are teaming up with some other companies and offering DSL in place of FIOS is plain wrong - and lying and dishonest.

I dont' care what you say about that.

And to de-activate the $300 card they had offered, which says that there is no expiry date.

That was not something honest is it??

And saying that we signed something - nowhere on the contract do they disclose that if you move where they don't have service you still have to pay.  That is dishonesty - especially if customers sign up in good faith.

There is such a thing as honesty and ethics - which companies are getting away from - especiallly cable providers.

Gita KM

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

I got the same from AT&T Uverse.  Their "highspeed broadband" turned out to be DSL.

If you don't ask questions (i.e. "what are the up and down speeds") and don't get things in writing/email, bad things will happen.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@GitaKM wrote:

It is not the question of paying the termination fee.  But to claim they have service when in reality they are teaming up with some other companies and offering DSL in place of FIOS is plain wrong - and lying and dishonest.

I dont' care what you say about that.

And to de-activate the $300 card they had offered, which says that there is no expiry date.

That was not something honest is it??

And saying that we signed something - nowhere on the contract do they disclose that if you move where they don't have service you still have to pay.  That is dishonesty - especially if customers sign up in good faith.

There is such a thing as honesty and ethics - which companies are getting away from - especiallly cable providers.

Gita KM

If you read the Verizon Online Terms of Service, I think you'll find that they do cover these issues.

2. DEFINITIONS AND CHANGES TO SERVICE (specifically sub sections 1 and 5) covers the "service" definition.

The $300 dollar card would have been contingent on your specific 2-year agreement, which you are breaking.

10. TERMINATION OR SUSPENSION OF SERVICE (specifically sub section 2) covers your moving/ETF issue.

I'm not saying any of this is the right thing to do, but they aren't being dishonest. It really is in the ToS that you agreed to when signing up for service.

0 Likes
Moving to Non-FiOS Area and Being Charged Contract Breach Fee
garghya

Moving from Towson to a small town in Missouri, which is non-FIOS area. I called the customer service on July 3rd, 2015 to move my service without knowing this, just to arrange the move of my service to my new address. The representative immediately started talking about termination of service and breach of contract and informed I have to pay around $180 bucks. Upon questioning, she could not provide me where exactly this is stated. I asked to talk to a supervisor and was told no one on the floor and made a call back on 6th of July, 2015 (Monday) evening. That call never came back and that's exactly what I was expecting. So I contacting my local congressman to escalate this unethical practice. Moreover, if charged, I will dispute the charge with the credit card company with all proof I have. I shall not go easy on this. And never ever go to Verizon ever. Recently was thinking to get Verizon Cellular, but after this experience NO NO NO!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you see the previous post? If the Verizon Terms of Service, it covers when you can terminate service without a ETF.

Only real reason is if you are in the military and you are transferred.

Its not unethical if it is in the contract terms you agreed to (that almost none of us read).
And unless you go with a local cable provider in Missouri that may not have one, your next cable/Internet provider will also have ETF terms as well that will make you pay if you move out of their service area.