Multifunction printer slows down connection
Alyanak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Brand new FIOS double play installation (internet 20/5 + phone).

Scenario 1: Just internet = perfect speed.

Scenario 2: Connect a phone to my second wall outlet = still perfect internet speed.

Scenario 3: Connect my new Brother MFC-990CW multifunction printer to the wall jack and suddenly my internet speed drops by 25%.

Has anyone had similar issues?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Multifunction printer slows down connection
Alyanak
Enthusiast - Level 2

@weedeater wrote:

Would it be safe to assume this printer is wireless?  And that you're looking at speeds over a wireless connection?

Hi.

Yes, it's wireless. But the problem only occurs when I plug in the RJ-11 cable. And yes, I did try to connect to the router via Ethernet, and the problem persisted.

The good news is that I have fixed the problem, despite what I was told by the Verizon reps at my store (twice).

IT'S THE FILTER STUPID!

In short, I went to Radio Shack, bought a Gigaware DSL filter and placed it on the fax line and my speed is back up. So, despite what we are told, DSL interference can, apparently, also occur on VDSL.

Spread the word Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Alyanak
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just tried installing a DSL filter. I thought that might be the problem. It's not.

Note that I'm seeing that the Brother fax (multifunction) is only affecting my download speeds, not upload.

I do confirm that the slow down is 25%!

weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Would it be safe to assume this printer is wireless?  And that you're looking at speeds over a wireless connection?

Alyanak
Enthusiast - Level 2

@weedeater wrote:

Hi.

Yes, it's wireless. But the problem only occurs when I plug in the RJ-11 cable. And yes, I did try to connect to the router via Ethernet, and the problem persisted.

The good news is that I have fixed the problem, despite what I was told by the Verizon reps at my store (twice).

IT'S THE FILTER STUPID!

In short, I went to Radio Shack, bought a Gigaware DSL filter and placed it on the fax line and my speed is back up. So, despite what we are told, DSL interference can, apparently, also occur on VDSL.

Spread the word Smiley Wink