Multiple ethernet ports in multiple rooms
jaunt

Hi,

I have 2 ethernet ports in 2 rooms that both run to the garage where the ONT box is. The one in the living room is connected to the router. I tried to plug my laptop into the ethernet port upstairs but it is not picking up anything. I looked at the connection in the garage and it appears one of the ethernet cables isnt plugged into anything. Is there any way I can get connection upstairs via the ethernet port? 

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Re: Multiple ethernet ports in multiple rooms
jonjones1
Legend

@jaunt wrote:

Hi,

I have 2 ethernet ports in 2 rooms that both run to the garage where the ONT box is. The one in the living room is connected to the router. I tried to plug my laptop into the ethernet port upstairs but it is not picking up anything. I looked at the connection in the garage and it appears one of the ethernet cables isnt plugged into anything. Is there any way I can get connection upstairs via the ethernet port? 

Thanks in advance

I am going to assume that the total setup is like this.

ONT-Ethernet cable into WAN port of router-Ethernet Cable plugged into LAN going up to to first floor (which has connectivity), there should be a second Ethernet cable plugged into one of the LAN ports which should be going upstairs. 

If the other ethernet cable is unplugged I would plug it back in and test the upstairs connection again. If it works your problem is solved.

If not I would get a cat 6e run to the upstairs location that is plugged into an available LAN port on the router.

Good Luck

0 Likes