Multiple wired internet connections leads to (limited/no connectivity) errors on wired computers
BelKimi

When one (wired) computer is online/using the internet, everything works fine. When another wired computer attempts to access the internet at the same time, both computers then get a (limited/no connectivity) error. To get the internet back work on either, I need to reset/power on/off the router and then restart the computer to restore my ability to get online again.

Wireless connectivity to the router still works regardless

I thought that this was a router problem at first and got it replaced, however it has continued to happen. The problem started roughly 1-1.5 months ago.

Any ideas on how to solve this or how to troubleshoot my way through it?

-Rob

0 Likes
Re: Multiple wired internet connections leads to (limited/no connectivity) errors on wired computers
RLocksley

in most routers, you can specify your default number of connections, max.  yours may be set to one.  if it is a wireless router as well, and did you change the passwords away from default? you may just not have one of 2 things:  dhcp turned on at the router, and your client on the desktop. if it isnt, look for the correct range in the router, and set it on your desktop.  

0 Likes
Re: Multiple wired internet connections leads to (limited/no connectivity) errors on wired computers
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Also check to see if the two wired computers are getting an automatic IP address or Static IP. If they both have the same Static IP, it could give those symptoms. If so, either change one to a different Static IP or set the computers for DHCP

0 Likes
BelKimi

I still haven't had any luck resolving the issue. Both computers are set up for DHCP and I am able check on my wireless labtop that they both have different IP addresses when this occurs.  

Further clarifying the problem: I have been keeping the ethernet cord unplugged from my wife's computer, and the last time I plugged it in, both computers lost there connection, but was easily restored on my main by then again unplugging the ethernet cord from my wife's computer computer.

Is it possible I have a bad network card in the one computer?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@BelKimi wrote:

I still haven't had any luck resolving the issue. Both computers are set up for DHCP and I am able check on my wireless labtop that they both have different IP addresses when this occurs.  

Further clarifying the problem: I have been keeping the ethernet cord unplugged from my wife's computer, and the last time I plugged it in, both computers lost there connection, but was easily restored on my main by then again unplugging the ethernet cord from my wife's computer computer.

Is it possible I have a bad network card in the one computer?

It is possible to have a bad NIC. I would try a new cable, and or try your wifes computer as the only one plugged in. If it works, it is not the computer. If it does not work, then perhaps you could try the ethernet cable from the other PC. This would help narrow down where the problem is located. Cable, nic or PC. Try different ports on the router. I have not seen this, but a port on the router could have an issue.

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

limited/no connectivity msg is because of 169.254.x.x. ip address. it is a self assigned ip address which microsoft has assigned to the pc.

Follow these steps to verify ethernet cable.

Connect one end of ethernet cable to LAN port 1 and other end of ethernet cable to LAN port 2/3/4(any). The corresponding lights on front of router should turn on.

If they do not turn on, the ethernet cables are bad.

0 Likes