Mumble voice communication, intermittent loss of packets
SoCalMX70

Just thought I'd try these forums while I wait on hold with tech support. I recently signed up with Verizon and have an 85mb download and 35mb upload with my FiOS connection. I use Mumble for voice communication when I'm gaming with some buddies. Ever since I switched over to Verizon FiOS, I've had nothing but trouble with this program. Anywhere from 5 minutes to SEVERAL HOURS into being logged onto the program everyone starts telling me that my voice is robotic or starts cutting out intermittently. my pings and connections in games, websites, etc are always 100% fine, it is just this program where I have the issue. I had a much slower connection (especially on upload) with my old provider and  never had a single issue.

I've tried several different methods to fix the issue, including port forwarding, traffic shaping (QoS - but I have no idea if this even did anything because it is impossible to find good documentation on it), turning off the firewall completely, changing settings on the client (Mumble) itself all to no avail. My voice may improve for a few minutes, but then it is right back to square one. When I check my "statistics" on the client it'll show 10-40% UDP packet loss, sometimes higher....

Is there a possibility that Verizon is restricting my connection with the Mumble server I'm connected to? What else can I try? I'll see where this call with Tech Support goes, but if it is anything like any other cable, internet, mobile phone company I've dealt with in the past, I'm not expecting miracles.

Any insight anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Mumble voice communication, intermittent loss of packets
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you run and provide a trace route to the server you are having some trouble with? Verizon has been having some issues with providers like Cogent, which could be the problem you are seeing.

0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:

Could you run and provide a trace route to the server you are having some trouble with? Verizon has been having some issues with providers like Cogent, which could be the problem you are seeing.

In addition to Savvis, NTT, Above.Net, Level3, SBC, and XO 🙂

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Namronorman wrote:

@Smith6612 wrote:

In addition to Savvis, NTT, Above.Net, Level3, SBC, and XO 🙂

Interestingly I have not seen issues going to or from Level3 or AboveNet with Verizon in my region. AT&T tends to be hit or miss depending in the day. For the others? Can't say I've noticed much of an issue.

0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

I wish I could say I'm making up the Above.Net claim. A VPS I rent is accessed via Above.Net 😞

0 Likes
SoCalMX70

Funny story. At the end of that long phone call over a week ago it essentially came down to "we don't know see an issue and cannot help you". Ever since then, ZERO problems with Mumble! Weird, or maybe it isn't...

Anyway, now I have a whole new problem. My upload speed has gone from 35mb (always consistent) to maxing out at 0.2mb. On the phone once again...

0 Likes
SoCalMX70

Ok, the upload problem was on my end and I figured it out while on hold. Here's a tip: don't use Netgear's Readyshare software. I was using it to access a router of mine on a different network. it installs a network driver as well as some sort of firewall, which I believe to be the culprit of the issue. I could certainly try to go in and mess with some settings on the driver or firewall, but at this point I can live without having direct access to the other router. There is probbaly a better way to setup that connection anyway and I'll figure it out later.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

0 Likes