My FIOS internet disconnects randomly
ToeRez1222
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

My internet disconnects at the most random times throughout the day. These disconnects only last a few minutes, but its bothersome when this happens at random on a daily basis. I could be streaming a video and the vidoe just cuts off and I have to watch a loading screen from a few minutes while the computer reconnects. Even after the computer reconnects and starts playing the video, my Windows 7 network center says I'm not connected to the internet even thought the video started playing again or I can surf the internet. After a few minutes, it will say I'm connected again even though I've already been using the internet for a few minutes. Has anyone ran into a similar situation? Any ideas how to resolve the situation? I've already tried unplugging my router and plugging it back in to no avail. =(

0 Likes
Re: My FIOS internet disconnects randomly
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Are you on a wireless or Wired Connection?

What brand router/wireless device are you connecting to?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jumpin68ny wrote:

What brand router/wireless device are you connecting to?

yes, I agree.

#1 What model and hardware version too...

For example..

Actiontec MI-424-Mi, Rev C

#2 FIOS Only or also has FIOS TV?

0 Likes
ToeRez1222
Enthusiast - Level 2

On my router, it says "Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. F" and the Firmware version is 20.19.8. It says my firmware is up-to-date when I checked to see if there was an update available.

And I have FIOS Internet and FIOS TV.

Thank you for the responses!

0 Likes
ToeRez1222
Enthusiast - Level 2

PS - I'm connected via wireless

0 Likes
SilverTower

I have exactly the same problem for over a month now.  Technician came to fix it.  He checked connections in all rooms and computers, everything fine. Internet was working.  As soon as he leave the problem started again.  I'm losing connection every 15-20 min for good 5-15 min, sometimes every 30 min.  It's getting very annoying. 

All computers are wired, even Touchpad (wi-fi) gives the same problem

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

For you do wired devices disconnect too or just wireless devices?

0 Likes
atantekeier
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is not an issue related to wireless usages, or bandwidth amount, or router related.

I have had this issue for several months now and it seams this problems is unsolvable from what verizon tells me.

Or they act like I'm crazy and say "everything looks good" Like I call them all the time just for **bleep**s and giggles.

one thing I found out to "maybe" fix it is to change the coax connection from the ONT outside or in the garage to the router, to ethernet. The only problem is you have to buy all the materials and do it yourself.

Thats right, a company that is providing a service and that service is malfunctioning and you have to pay for the materials and do the repairs yourself. I thought this was nuts too

(also I have had 2 replacment routers, no fix, a tech came out and eyeballed everything and played some movie trailers on his laptop and said it was fine, no fix. Even a tech from these forums contacted me and told me that his computer shows there have been no disconnects from the time the tech came out to my house, and when I copy/pasted the system log of 4 disconnects after the date of the tech coming out he simply stopped responding to my messages.

Good luck getting verizon to fix your issue.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@atantekeier wrote:

This is not an issue related to wireless usages, or bandwidth amount, or router related.

@atantekeier wrote:

I have had this issue for several months now and it seams this problems is unsolvable from what verizon tells me.

Wired or wIreless?

What kind of devices/s?

What application/s are you running and from what web site/s when the disconnects occur?

0 Likes
SomeOldBlindMan
Enthusiast - Level 2

ToeRez1222...  do you have an ethernet cable?  if you hardwire, does it drop?   

Your WIn7 Net Ctr is lagging a bit.. (sorry, you can't fire Bill, he already kinda stepped out of that hotseat).. 

By your description, it sounds more like your wireless connection (laptop to router) is dropping.  Get into Net Sharing...

1. click on Connect to a Network.. how many other networks show up on the list?

a. can try changing channels on router or laptop (if driver permits) to get better signal from your router

b. can try relocation router (higher, on a shelf, etc...)

2. click on the Wireless Network connection in Active Networks (below the globe up top right).. it pulls up the status..

a. What is speed? (throughput)

b. How many bars? (strength of radio signal)

(keep this status screen up  & tour your house for deadspots)

poor throughput = interference from other wireless network devices

poor radio strength = distance, other 2.4GHz devices, other interference

Other options (not provided/supported by Verizon):

1. Wireless Range Extenders (I've never used, nor could recommend one of these)

2. Stronger Antenna (I would opt for this, cheaper, easier)

atantekeier, your comments are not going to help anyone solve their issues...

0 Likes