My FIOS internet speed problem solved
quaerere

A recurring and frustrating issue that keeps popping up on the board is the matter of internet speeds much slower than contracted for. I have had this problem for well over a year, and have gone through customer service to no avail, and consulted several gurus. All of this to no avail until recently. As with so many computer purchases mine came with a year of free McAfee loaded on. After the year I uninstalled McAfee and purchased another security package. However, when I installed Windows 10 my upload speed suddenly went way down, below 1. A few weeks ago I discovered a piece of McAfee still on the computer. After removing it the upload speed returned to normal. However, today I discovered my speed was down to below 1 again. I could not find pieces of McAfee remaining. I went to the McAfee site and found a tool called MCPR for unistalling McAfee. I ran this and my speeds returned to normal. My guess is that the pieces I formerly uninstalled reinstalled themselves, as some programs can do. Let's see if my speed stays up. I will continue to post. If anyone else has luck with this procedure, I would be interested in knowing.

0 Likes
Re: My FIOS internet speed problem solved
jonjones1
Legend

The McAfee is one of the worst to have on any system. Norton/Symantec is another one along with Kaspary all of which cripples your computer.

many folks don’t realize windows comes with BitDefender (could be a different name now) which is antivirus scanner, then you add on any other antivirus program and bang you have multiple conflicts which slow you down to unacceptable levels.

i turned off all antivirus on my systems and use just Malwarebytes on them. 

Another thing that slows you down is multiple firewalls engaged. You only need a firewall at the router level. Of course this is my own opinion. But I never get hit with slow anything.

0 Likes