My FIOS loves to lag. Lag, lag, lag.. Isn't it suppose to be fast?
Nae

So I'm paying for this expensive FIOS that's suppose to be super fast but when I try to go to a website is hesitates and thinks about it for awhile and maybe in a minute or two or three it might pop up.  So I open a few windows and try going to other sites to kill time and ditto.

Sometimes my FIOS works well and when it does its fast but there has been many, many times when it does this hesitation thing and its getting on my nerves.  I'm thinking why am I paying so much only to be waiting and waiting for the sites to come up? 

I just ran a couple internet bandwidth tests.  It took awhile to get the site to come up, but once they worked I get a download speed of around 25Mbs (nice right) but my upload speeds were 33kbs and 300kbs. 

So yes I have run the little FIOS optimizer program that's suppose to increase the internet speed.  I tried that a couple times before and it didn't do anything to fix this prob.  I'm not using wireless, I'm plugged directly into the router.  I have a 3.2Ghz comp with 3GB of ram and I use Windows XP.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: My FIOS loves to lag. Lag, lag, lag.. Isn't it suppose to be fast?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

To the best of my awareness there is no registry entry that increases upload speeds, so the optimizer would never have worked for you to begin with.  

Are you wifi or hardwired?

The download speed is fine obviously, the upstream raises an eyebrow only.   I am definetly a betting man, and I would not put my money on ANY website (spekeasy speedtest.net etc etc et al) to give consistent and accurate upload speed test results.    Do you have buddies that also have fios?  If you do you can have them set up a free easy FTP server, and then you can upload to them and see what your real speed is.   that is FAR more reliable than any of these websites that test upload.

Also try running a Traceroute when you're having no problem at all, and also run a different traceroute when you ARE having trouble.

0 Likes
Nae

Hardwired.  and what is a traceroute?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

A trace route is a command you can do from your computer that traces the route your computer takes across the internet to send information to point a to z and all points in between.   it tells you a lot sometimes like if the lag is originating at your house or out in the middle of the internet somewhere.   

to do a traceroute perform the following

In XP

go to your start menu > Run > cmd + enter > a black dos window opens, type tracert www.yahoo.com (or whatever website you are having trouble getting to)   Once the trace completes, try to cut and paste your results here so we can take a look.

In Vista go to your start menu > search > cmd (look for the CMD in the search results and right click on it and choose 'run as administrator' > a black dos window opens, type tracert www.yahoo.com (or whatever website you are having trouble getting to)   Once the trace completes, try to cut and paste your results here so we can take a look.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Nae wrote:

Hardwired.  and what is a traceroute?

start, run, cmd and hit enter

then

in the black cmd window type tracert ip/web site and hit enter

ip/web site is either a web site name e.g, www.google.com or it can be an ip address

The tracert command will return you a list of the intermediate nodes to the destination with a time associated with the hop from node to node.  This may possibly show you some error however a 300kb upload speed indicates something a little more drastic such as a defective ethernet cable, defective ethernot port on pc, defective port on router, defective router etc.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if he's getting legitimately 300k upload yes, but I don't trust those sites to test uploads speeds whatsoever. like I Said, I am a betting man, I love to bet, I might have a slight gambling addiction. I would never bet on any of those websites giving a consistently accurate upload speed test result that can measure anything over 7 mb. and even that I Would find questionable. and I run speed tests religiously. Once I find one that gives a good result, It works for maybe 3-5 days and then starts giving bad results.

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

please do speedtests on Speedtest

0 Likes