My FIOS price increasing
Op

Hi all,

After being a loyal high-speed internet customer (8yrs DSL and 1yr FIOS), Verizon sent a letter to me showing their appreciation. In return, they want to increase the price from $42.99 to $52.99. I have to pay $120 additional a year. The funny thing is doing it without trying to explain why the price is increased or no speed upgrade to offer in return.  Basically, they just asked for more money.  I have a hard time understanding this, and am wondering if it's just happening to me or you guys've been through this issue before.

So, I did a little research.

My current 10/2 MB plan: $42.99, will be $52.99

From Verizon's Web site, 15/5MB plan: $49.99 first month free

From Comcast, 15MB plan: $19.99 first 6 month and $42.95 thereafter

Big difference. Don't get me wrong. I've been happy with FIOS and Verizon for years. And, I don't really like the way Comcast doing business.  I would be happy with my current price ($42.99) even though Comcast is offering about $240 a year less than the new price I have to pay Verizon.  But, looking at price difference, Verizon doesn't leave me much choice rather than switch the ship.  I just want to check and see if you guys experienced this and how you could avoid this unreasonable additional charge.

Thanks,

Op

0 Likes
Re: My FIOS price increasing
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 This may explain it...

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSInternet/Plans/Plans.htm wrote:
Rate may increase after term plan expires.

Also on that site, they say there is a two year agreement.

You got the one year agreement?

#2 OR perhaps, you are no longer on the Verizon Phone service?

0 Likes
Re: My FIOS price increasing
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yeah, it sounds like you are comming up on the end of your contract. If you do nothing you will be moved to their "month to month" plan. No contracts, you can cancel anytime, but higher rate. You should be able to call in, find out what specials they are currently running (not all the specials are on the web page so you will have to call to see if there are any others). There should be one that is likely between the $42 and $52 prices. You may even find that if you renew your contract you may even be able to keep your current price.

Yeah, comcast is cheaper for the 15M but that is for a shared bandwidth plan. its "up to" 15M. When I was with one of the others (beep beep, cough RR) I was on a up to 10 plan but never saw anything beyond 4-5M.  The steady bandwidth I get with Verizon is worth the extra money IMO. But YMMV.

0 Likes