My IP Address Has Changed?
golfdude
I just finished building a new computer for my wife and while running it through some checks I noticed my IP Address had changed.  I went to Speedtest.net to test the connection speed and my preferred test server was showing up near Wichita Kansas.  I went to myIPaddress.com and sure enough I have apparently moved from Ft Wayne to Wichita.  I remember a few months ago there was a thread on this topic and could not find it just now.  Does anybody remember what the discussion was and will it revert back to my old IP address on its own?  Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
Re: My IP Address Has Changed?
Justin46
Legend

@golfdude wrote:
I just finished building a new computer for my wife and while running it through some checks I noticed my IP Address had changed.  I went to Speedtest.net to test the connection speed and my preferred test server was showing up near Wichita Kansas.  I went to myIPaddress.com and sure enough I have apparently moved from Ft Wayne to Wichita.  I remember a few months ago there was a thread on this topic and could not find it just now.  Does anybody remember what the discussion was and will it revert back to my old IP address on its own?  Thanks in advance.

I had that happen to me some time back. The problem is that IP address ranges are bought and sold regularly and then perhaps used in a different geographic location than previously. There are sites that have IP address ranges "attached" to geographic locations, and when someone like Verizon obtains one of these ranges the location may be wrong for a while until the network catches up. Some people a while back were not only moved to Kansas, others were relocated to Canada and I think some to England. It will eventually correct itself over time, mine did, I am now back in North Texas as I should be.

No, it is very unlikely that your address will revert back, but then again it might, no telling. Your router gets an IP address and has that address leased for a period of time. At the expiration of that time it will request a new lease. At that point it may get the same IP address (very likely) or a different one (pretty rare, but it most definitely happens), on the same range or a totally different one (I know in the last year or two I have had at least two different 173.x.x.x addresses, and one 71.x.x.x address, maybe more). You cannot control that unless you are willing to buy a business account with a static IP address (more $$$$).

As far as I know, the only real issue with changing IP addresses is if you get one that is in a range that has been previously blocked by some websites due to being identifed as a spam site or something, then if you want to get to those websites you will have problems and you would need to contact the administrators for those sites.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: My IP Address Has Changed?
golfdude

Thanks once again Justin.  You seem to be my answer man.  I remember the thread sometime back and people were upset because they were getting redirected to Google Canada or Google England because their IP address had changed.  Not a big deal to me, as long as everything works.

Thanks again, and take care until I have another question.

Tom

0 Likes