My Internet connection is slow in 2.4 GHz band, but faster in 5 GHz.
banureddy

We had a new Fios set up a week ago. Our connection is 100/100. Router we are using is Verizon Fios G-1100. Today, we were experiencing very loe speeds on 2.4 GHz. When I did a speed test on both, 2.4 GHz gave a speeds of 4Mbps/1Mbps, while on 5 GHz I am getting a full of 100Mbps/100Mbps. Why is this happening?

0 Likes
Re: My Internet connection is slow in 2.4 GHz band, but faster in 5 GHz.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

5Ghz is prone to less congestion, as there is also more wireless spectrum available for the router to use, and because the radio signal doesn't travel as far due to the laws of physics. 

2.4Ghz is very crowded and often has lower end devices like 802.11g and 1x1 802.11n Draft devices (all of which can drag performance lower). Lower speeds typically are the result of congestion, from neighboring networks or bluetooth devices. There's also a lot of interference - baby monitors, microwaves, smart power meters, and more, can all rely on 2.4Ghz and slow down the Wi-Fi further.

0 Likes
banureddy

Some of my devices like Old Samsumg smartphones and Old dell laptops doesn't support 5 GHz, what do I do in this case? And, I turned off 5 GHz, and speed in 2.4 GHz is 70/100. What does this mean?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@banureddy wrote:

Some of my devices like Old Samsumg smartphones and Old dell laptops doesn't support 5 GHz, what do I do in this case? And, I turned off 5 GHz, and speed in 2.4 GHz is 70/100. What does this mean?

For the phone buy another device that supports 5 Ghz as to the old computer you can buy an adapter for WiFi that has the newer AC speeds which work on 5 Ghz 

the speed increase is because 2.4 Ghz is for more penetrating connections. The actual speeds on the devices will vary.

0 Likes