My Router
Undertaker72
Ok  here is the problem in a nutshell.  I have verizon fios with the mi424-wr Rev. c My mom and aunt both connect to the internet with this.  And so do I.  Out of the blue I would say two days ago santa ana winds was blowing bad out here in So. California.  Now all of a sudden after the storm my aunt and mom don't have wireless hookup.  But on the main computer where the router is connected it connects fine.  So I go to windows vista and try to connect using theire wireless devices to get on.  It says the router is unplugged or it just can't see it.  Soo what I do is try to get on the router and see if any of the settings has changed on the router.  But get this.  I can't access the router with the address 192.168.1.1 address  So I reset it to default settings and try the admin password thing but that does not work either.  All the lights on the router are green if anyone is going to ask.  Need a lot of help here.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My Router
Justin46
Legend

I can't help at this point, but I do have a few questions:

1) When you say you cannot get to the router using 192.169.1.1, what error do you get? Are you using the wired PC? (sounds like you are, but...)

2) After the reset, the name and password most definitely should be "admin" and "password". When you say that they do not work, do you mean you get lots of extra characters when typing "password", or does it just reject your name and password? And again, you are using the wired PC, right? And you do now get to the router, it just won't take the name and password?

3) You reference Vista, what computer is that on, and what does it have to do with this?

Of course it is always possible the router has died, but I can't see what the Santa Anna winds would have to do with that.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I can't help at this point, but I do have a few questions:

1) When you say you cannot get to the router using 192.169.1.1, what error do you get? Are you using the wired PC? (sounds like you are, but...)

2) After the reset, the name and password most definitely should be "admin" and "password". When you say that they do not work, do you mean you get lots of extra characters when typing "password", or does it just reject your name and password? And again, you are using the wired PC, right? And you do now get to the router, it just won't take the name and password?

3) You reference Vista, what computer is that on, and what does it have to do with this?

Of course it is always possible the router has died, but I can't see what the Santa Anna winds would have to do with that.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Undertaker72
Heh whoops.  I don't get an error it just stays on the logon screen on the router.  And yes I get extra characters when I type in the password spot.  The other thing you asked.  The computer where the router is mainly hooked up to is using windows xp.  The other two computers are using windows vista premium and 1 other one has windows vista basic.  This is the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me.  I can usually fix the problems with the internet but this one has me stumped.  Been using computers since the VIC-20 computer.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

If the router gives you the login screen, but  won't respond to the login request, I have to think the router is broken. Two thoughts:

1) I know you did a reset, but have you actually removed the power from the router for 20-30 seconds and then let it power back up?

2) Do you have an old router that you can connect in place of the ActionTec and see if you can talk to it from any PC? If you don't have FiOS TV you can use pretty much any router for the internet.

Vista does have a problem about not recognizing that there is a valid internet connection, but it is my understanding that the error does not actually prevent internet access, it just tells you that it doesn't have access.

I am in the dark on this one, sorry. I guess as a last ditch effort I would disconnect everything from the router, including the internet, remove the power, plug it back in and let it come up, then connect the XP computer and see if I could log in. If not, it is either the router or the PC, my guess would be the router, and I would call the FSC.

One possible problem: in the past, if you had FiOS internet but not TV, Verizon only warranted the router for a year, then it was yours, and your responsibility to replace. If you have TV, then it remains under warranty, because it is required for some of the TV functions (VOD, Guide, widgets, etc). I don't know whether this is still true, I would try to get Verizon to replace the router for free, but if they won't because of no TV, then I would go buy one, or use one you already have.

I hope someone else will come in with some better suggestions. Again, sorry...

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Undertaker72
Ok thanks justin.  I will try that.  But we have fios tv also and that is working.  Sometimes it is sluggish but it works.  What other router would you recommend getting?  I have looked on the internet but they never show the back view to see if it accepts cable.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

OK, that is a good thing to have FiOS TV because, as I understand it, Verizon will replace the router free if it is broken. The TV service itself, ie, viewing channels, does not require the ActionTec, but other functions like VOD, the Guide, etc, do.

The ActionTec router is I think the only router currently on the market that supports the coax from the ONT as well as coax for the LAN. Thus you are pretty much required to keep the ActionTec in your system if you want VOD, Guide data, etc, and I think you do. There is a way to bridge with two routers, ActionTec plus another, some people seem to feel that is required, but I don't have mine that way, and I have never really looked at the steps required. If you decide you want to try to go that way, there are threads about doing that at www.dslreports.com in the FiOS area.

One way you can check if your TV STBs are talking to the router is to go into the Menu on the STB, scroll down to Settings and then go down to System Information. If Network Status says "Online", then the STB is talking to the router. And of course, if you can ever log into the router, you can view your network and see what STBs and PC are connected.

I suggest you see if you can get logged into the router, if not, then I would call the FSC and request a replacement.

Good luck...be sure to let us know what happens, and if you think I can help please let me know....this is a strange one for sure....

Keller, TX 76248

prisaz
Legend

@Undertaker72 wrote:
Heh whoops.  I don't get an error it just stays on the logon screen on the router.  And yes I get extra characters when I type in the password spot.  The other thing you asked.  The computer where the router is mainly hooked up to is using windows xp.  The other two computers are using windows vista premium and 1 other one has windows vista basic.  This is the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me.  I can usually fix the problems with the internet but this one has me stumped.  Been using computers since the VIC-20 computer.
I have heard that verizon techs tend to change the password to "password1". Which i don't think is any more secure then password. Try admin and password1. Could be that it was changed to this and your router did not fully reset to default. Also the router does not echo the exact number of characters to the screen when you type, for security reasons.
0 Likes
Omni-Potent
Enthusiast - Level 3

@prisaz wrote:I have heard that verizon techs tend to change the password to "password1". Which i don't think is any more secure then password. Try admin and password1. Could be that it was changed to this and your router did not fully reset to default. Also the router does not echo the exact number of characters to the screen when you type, for security reasons.

I thought by default the password for the Verizon router is "password1". Also, if I remember correctly, the newest router will ask you to create a password the first time you log into it.

0 Likes
Undertaker72
I am so sorry.  I forgot to post here that it was corrected.  Apparently my 5.8 digital phone was interferring with the signal.  So the customer support changed the channel on the router and it corrected the problem.  So this is all solved folks but thanks for the tips.
0 Likes