My TV states "insufficient bandwidth" when trying to stream an Amazon movie
xfan13131
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently tried to stream a movie from Amazon Video for the first time and after logging in a prompt appeared on my tv stating "insufficient bandwidth". Thus the movie failed to stream. I should mention that I streamed a movie from Netflix the night before using a different tv without any problems. Some details: using a brand new Samsung TV, internet speed is 50/50Mbps, very little use of data other than 2 cell phones, & the latest Verizon wifi router. Can anyone advise if they had the same problem or maybe offer a recommendation on what I can do without raising my already over-priced Verizon FIOS monthly bill. Thanks.

A

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Amazon video streaming my TY states "insufficient bandwidth" and fails to stream
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Start by reseting router.

If that doesn't work, hook a device up via ethernet cable to router and go to speedtest.verizon.net

Run through the test to see what you get.

If that doesn't give acceptable results, you can use that info to have support investigate your issue (they don't guarantee wifi performance).

If that is ok, do you have anotyher device that you can check streaming performance with?

Its possible that you are getting some level of WIFI interference.

If you have an android device, download an app call wifi analyzer and use it to check your WIFI.

I have several smart TVs and Roku all of which have no issue with buffering with 75/75 service.

View solution in original post

Re: Amazon video streaming my TY states "insufficient bandwidth" and fails to stream
jonjones1
Legend

@xfan1313 wrote:

I recently tried to stream a movie from Amazon Video for the first time and after logging in a prompt appeared on my tv stating "insufficient bandwidth". Thus the movie failed to stream. I should mention that I streamed a movie from Netflix the night before using a different tv without any problems. Some details: brand new Samsung tv, internet speed is 50/50Mbps, very little use of data other than 2 cell phones, & the latest Verizon wifi router. Can anyone advise if anyone had the same problem or maybe a recommendation on what I can do without raising my already over-priced monthly bill. Thanks.

A

Are you using a direct connection from a smart tv, to the Amazon movie service?

are you connected via Roku? In either case you must be a member of Amazon to stream their content. In Roku devices sometimes a message about DHCP will come on the screen and you won't be able to view the content. A simple fix in that case is to unplug the Roku and the tv and try again.

i don't have tv from Verizon so I am not aware that Amazon was one of their partners in the streaming service. I use Amazon Prime on Roku and on my Sony Blu Ray DVD players. You need to first associate the devices you are using at Amazon, Netflix, or Acorn TV etc. to stream content.

Re: My TV states "insufficient bandwidth" when trying to stream an Amazon movie
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its possible that TV isn't getting good WiFi where it is at.

Can you stream amazon on smart phone near where TV is located?

Can you stream anything else on TV?

Try the crackle app. It is free and has movies.

Check under menu and network for network status.

My Samsung shows number of WiFi bars.

xfan13131
Enthusiast - Level 1

I should have mentioned I do have a direct connection to Amazon Video via  a Samsung "Smart" TV. I am not using any external device to connect to Amazon. Just as a post script- I retried connecting again later that evening and it streamed fine. So I will keep monitoring it and if it continually occurs I may have to reluctantly upgrade to a higher internet speed. Thanks to all who posted a response.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear it is working.

50/50 should be plenty for the low number of devices.

When you say direct connect, was that refering to using the Amazon app on your TV or that the TV is using ethernet vs wifi to connect to Internet?

I assumed WIFI as most Samsung smart TVs support that.

If so, that is whay I suggest trying another app or another device to see if it is a wifi coverage issue.

cjack1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having a "low bandwith" problem from verizon in Baltimore. just got off the phone with tech support and was told that even though i have upgraded to 75/75  speed and have no other open devices, other than my Samsung smart TV. i get the low bandwith message from netflix and amazon when watching UHD. I have a wireless connection about 20 feet from verizon actiontec Mi 424 WR rev-1 router. I was told about 5 times that i have to have a hardwired connection in order to stop the buffering. I feel that for the price i pay for upgraded speed, i should not have this problem. Verizon thinks otherwise.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Start by reseting router.

If that doesn't work, hook a device up via ethernet cable to router and go to speedtest.verizon.net

Run through the test to see what you get.

If that doesn't give acceptable results, you can use that info to have support investigate your issue (they don't guarantee wifi performance).

If that is ok, do you have anotyher device that you can check streaming performance with?

Its possible that you are getting some level of WIFI interference.

If you have an android device, download an app call wifi analyzer and use it to check your WIFI.

I have several smart TVs and Roku all of which have no issue with buffering with 75/75 service.

NJEric1

This last week, every day I am getting the same. I put a call into Verizon and they were to call back in 1 hour.....two hours has already pass. I am also having a "low bandwith" problem from verizon Verona, NJ. just got off the phone with tech support and was told that even though i have upgraded to 75/75  speed and have no other open devices, other than my Samsung smart TV. i get the low bandwith message from netflix and amazon when watching HD. I have a wireless connection about 10 feet from verizon actiontec Mi 424 WR rev-1 router. I was told about 5 times that i have to have a hardwired connection in order to stop the buffering. I feel that for the price I pay for upgraded speed, we should not have this problem. Verizon thinks otherwise. Is this part of the govement plans on net neutrilaty. They can get to lower the banwith at any time of the day? 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon tech support is absolutely clueless. They will sell you all different kinds of speeds when most of the time it is most likely bad wifi. The fact is that all the steaming services need only 25 mbps for 4k hd. They could could assign the whole 2.4 gbps pon card directly to you but if the wifi is bad then it is bad. 

What are your wifi speed on your smartphone or laptop in same room as your TV? Maybe the router wifi is just bad. 

Alex1213

Verizon’s business model puts ethics won the back burner and money for lobbying at the top of its priority list. Your post was very helpful to me, though, as now I save myself multiple failed efforts to overcome the low bandwidth. Your story is mine. I’m so disgusted by this company and how poor our service is despite our country leading technology and having the money to upgrade. Verizon needs a swift kick from Congress, it seems. Until they get a fair dose of bad press, they will continue charging us for “upgraded” service that can’t compete with basic service in Europe. If you listen to podcasts, there’s a smart one on this topic by the Shorenstein Center. Thank you for your post. Going to buy my hardwiring now. 

0 Likes