My external SMTP server went offline
djc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I have been using my domain's SMTP server forever to send emails from my domain's email accounts. All of a sudden last week, the server went off-line.

My hosting provider says that nothing has changed on their end and all the tests I can do seem to agree with their position.

I can send emails from the web-based email application which uses the same server, I can telnet to the server using the same port that I use to connect (465). I can ping the server, but my email application (Apple Mail) will not connect to the server anymore no matter what settings I try.

Has Verizon made any changes to their system that would cause my not to be able to connect to the server?

Although I can get mail out using outgoing.verizon.com, I am having email deliverability issues becasue many of the receiving incoming servers think the email might be spam because the email address is from one domain, but the SMTP server is from another. I have tried to remedy this with updates to the SPF record but that has had limited success.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dom

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
[SOLVED]Re: My external SMTP server went offline
djc
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's fixed!!

I am not sure what did it....I restarted the SMTP server, applied all the hosting system patches, completely reconfigured Apple Mail and several other things.

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

All the best,

Dom

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: My external SMTP server went offline
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

There hasn't been any changes in the last week to the system. Something could be corrupt in the profile in Mac mail. Have you deleted and reset up the profile in your Mac mail?

0 Likes
djc
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for the reply. Yes I did delete the smtp server settings in Mac mail and recreated it. No joy. However, it stopped working on two Macs and mobile devices at the same time, The mobile devices work fine when not on the FIOS wifi (I am sending this frm my iPad while out of town) Any other ideas? Dom
0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

See if it has problems going out on port 587.

0 Likes
djc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi & again thanks for the reply.

I had already tried port 587 with no luck....however, I again deleted the SMTP server settings and entered them again....no luck.

I think I have tried just about all the combinations without succes.

Today, I added in a new SMTP server from another seperately hosted domain ( a server that I had used in the past, but was not using now)....As soon as I tried to send out from it....it too went off-lline.

I am certain that it is a Verizon problem, but it is sure looking that way when two totally different servers using totally different email software immediatly go off line.

I just returned from Phoenix where my iPad worked worked flawlessly through the external SMTP server.

Thanks,

Dom

0 Likes
[SOLVED]Re: My external SMTP server went offline
djc
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's fixed!!

I am not sure what did it....I restarted the SMTP server, applied all the hosting system patches, completely reconfigured Apple Mail and several other things.

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

All the best,

Dom

0 Likes
philoii1

I have exactly the same problem.

I have been using the same account for years. I can access email through web browser, and forward e-mails to my blackberry. Mac Mail, Mac Outlook, IPAD can no longer access my verizon yahoo email account. I have tried every suggestion to date. Tried every port combination suggested. Deleted all accounts and started from scratch.. Reset IPAD from scratch, with SSL on  and off, and just about every port possible. The last email I recieved through Mail was Feb 3. Downloaded the automated program which didnt work, I tried onlinechat  with Verizon tech, but they claimed that since I could still access email through the web, its an Apple software issue. The Apple store is blaming Verizon for not providing the approprate port info etc to access. And truthfully, with all of the information on the verizon website to set up mail client software, there is no set of rules that seems to apply. Every one is suggesting hit or miss solutions.

Sorry to ramble on, but this is really frustrating, and I am not a novice at this.

Mac 10.7.3

Mail 5.2

Outlook 14.1.4

Verizon Yahoo email account

Please help

0 Likes