My iMAC keeps getting disconnected from FIOS Internet
jaymack2

I had FIOS installed three days ago and everything is working fine except my Internet service. I have two iMAC computers, and the one connected to the ethernet cord is having no problem, but the other one, which is connected to the wireless network through Apple's AirPort program, keeps getting disconnected. I can't stay online more than a minute or two. I called the FIOS installer but he said he couldn't help me with that and I should call Apple. I don't want to spend an hour with a customer service rep figuring this out, I was hoping for a simple solution. My iMAC is seven years old, and maybe it can't handle the FIOS router. I had no problems connecting to Comcast, my previous Internet provider. I work at home and this is my work computer, so it's important that I get on the Internet every day. Can anyone help? Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: My iMAC keeps getting disconnected from FIOS Internet
beshannon
Enthusiast - Level 3

What are the network settings in your router?  Do the logs show why you are getting disconected?  Have you updated the iMac to the latest firmware for its wireless adapter?

0 Likes
jaymack2

@beshannon wrote:

What are the network settings in your router?  Do the logs show why you are getting disconected?  Have you updated the iMac to the latest firmware for its wireless adapter?

Sorry, you'll have to bear with me -- I am not very computer savvy. How do I find the network settings and the logs? I try to keep up with the updates for the iMAC, but it's possible I don't have the latest firmware. Would I find that at the Apple Website?

0 Likes
anonymous24356
Enthusiast - Level 3

any resolution?  my imac disconnects from wifi everytime it goes to sleep and apple is doing their standard "it must be the router" even though every other device connects without a problem, including macbook that is in same room as my imac

thx

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Run Software Update on the Mac. Usually Apple pushes software upgrades through there perhaps with OS updates. Otherwise, just check their support site.

My recommendation would be to move the router to WPA2 encryption if the Wi-Fi is encrypted with WEP. A handful of devices, Apple devices included seem to have a problem with that encryption type.

It is also normal for a computer to disconnect from Wi-Fi while sleeping to save power. What you're likely seeing is a delay in getting connected.

0 Likes
anonymous24356
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thanks for response but doesn't apply to my situation. Already on wpa2, am OCD about updates and the 'delay' will last until I manually reconfigure the network. Have also reinstalled os cleanly. Have rebooted router, hard and soft methods. Have also spent 2 hrs on phone with apple support who state it must be a router issue, even though 3 laptops, iPad and 4 iPhones have no issues ever. My MacBook, which I replaced with this iMac also never had a problem and was used in the same space as my iMac.
0 Likes