My internet connect keeps going out. Router "Active Status" resets as well.
betawarz

Hi all,

I've got FiOS internet, with a MI424-WR router model, firmware version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4.

I've got a wired connection to the router, and at least once an hour, usually more, my connection to the internet will go out and them come back about 30 seconds later. When I log in to the router's admin web app, and go to the router status page, the "Active Status" property says that the router has been active only for a few minutes. This makes me think that either the router is dying, or the internet connection is actually going out. This issue has been happening for a few months now, so I don't think it's an actual issue with connectivity in my area.

I began to notice this issue back in December, when I joined a switch to the network, in bridged mode, so that I can have an additional wifi access point. The problem originally only occurred on devices using that wifi connection, so I didn't care much about it. Now that it's affecting my desktop PC with a wired connection, I'm wanting to figure it out.

I have removed the switch from the network and I reset the Verizon provided router back to factor defaults. The issue is still occurring.

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks,

Ryan

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: My internet connect keeps going out. Router "Active Status" resets as well.
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like your router is resetting.  How exactly do you know that the internet is "out?"  When it is "out" what are the lights on the router doing?

Any chance the router is plugged into a switched outlet and somebody is flipping the switch?

Good Luck.

0 Likes
betawarz

No, it's not plugged into anything that'd let it get turned off and on. It resets on its own and "comes back online" after about 30 seconds of it cutting off.

I don't know that the internet connection itself is out, I only know that all the devices connected to the router lose their connection to the router when this happens. The internet icon in that task bar, on Windows, turns into the spinning blue icon, while the computer reconnects to the router, I guess.

I'll try to look at the lights on the router next time it goes out.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If possible, check what happens to WiFi.  If it goes out too, that is further confirmation that the router is resetting.

You might have a bad router.  If so, call Verizon.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
betawarz

Yea, everything loses connectivity - wireless, wired. We've had the same router for several years, so it's possible it's just dying.

0 Likes
nfunk1

This has started for me recently as well about two weeks ago, it's odd since Verizon replaced my router just last year that this is happening.

0 Likes
supernet2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is it a direct connection?

Or are you piggy backing off of another Coax unit leading into your router modem device?

Ex: Main FiOS line comes in, but goes into a splitter which then branches off into other devices, one of which is also your router?

I had a similar issue, except it turned out i needed to just check the coax line going directly from my modem to the FiOS box in the garage. I just made sure its a direct coax line.

If its not directly linked, perhaps we can trouble shoot else where but... ill need more details... perhaps you can grab technical logs from your modem/routers diagnostics section? 

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=9067&active_page_str=page_mon_log&req_mode=0&mimic_button_f...

EDITED:

Whoops just realized, it maybe a actual line, check your COAX line, make sure its not faulty, in my case i just had to make sure it was directly going to the internet (keep in mind im only using internet, not anything else that draws bandwith beyond data) no tv line, no phone line. So it maybe because your splitting off, but if that is true, im not sure to what extent.

I'd call a verizon tech to come review your wiring and run a full onspot diagnostics of the unit (although it maybe time consuming).

Worst case scenario bad router/modem unit. Needs replaced

OR it could be a less hassle but still time consuming ordeal (bad split somewhere in your COAX line) where its just got a broken link somewhere, and its moving causing the random disconnects with out real explantation or cause. (in that cause it will take time to trace and pinpoint where exactly the line broke)

I'd see the tech just literally putting in/installing new COAX to remedy this issue.

My suggestions? Get completely new COAX, and or splitters to branch of COAX assuming thats what you have, multiple devices (not just internet, but also phone and tv as well). Also have the modem/router replaced ingeneral, if this doesn't replace it, its most likely the box unit/line that extends out of your house, and that should be reviewed by a Verizon Tech who will most likely do something of that sort to check (assuming they cannot figure out why its being all odd as is*)

0 Likes
moab3579

I have also been experiencing a similar issue.  I have a MI424-WR modem and it has been working well for many years.  No wiring changes in the house, no coax changes, no physical changes in the location of the modem. 

About 3-4 months ago (March 2013), I started to notice that my VPN would disconnect.  I thought it must be something odd with my VPN software, perhaps a setting that caused the VPN to drop every so often and then automatically renew.

But then about 2 months ago (April 2013), my VOIP phone started to drop, right in the middle of a call.  I would have to hang up and redial the person that I was speaking to. That's when I started to suspect that perhaps my internet connectivity was dropping.

I opened up a ticket with Verizon a few days ago but the technician chased after speed issues (download speed, upload speed), and didn't address the actual challenge which seems to be intermittent drops.  We then got disconnected (ironic) and the tech didn't call back.

Model: MI424-WR

Firmware version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4

Hardware version: D

I intend to open up another call with Verizon and ask to have the modem swapped out.

I have viewed the log (System Monitoring > Advanced Status > System Logging), but I don't know how to decipher the log entries and determine if any of them are meaningful or point to a root cause.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do not know about the OP's problem/issue, but

@moab3579 wrote:

Model: MI424-WR

Firmware version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4

Hardware version: D

I intend to open up another call with Verizon and ask to have the modem swapped out.

I have viewed the log (System Monitoring > Advanced Status > System Logging), but I don't know how to decipher the log entries and determine if any of them are meaningful or point to a root cause.

I point you to to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

0 Likes
mrbadss

I am having this very same issue as well... Few things not mentioned here:

1. I have a security camera on the router so the physical router is rebooting(all lights off and a reboot) which is why it takes 30 seconds to come back up.

2. The router resets its active time so you can tel exactly when it happens. It appears to be every 2 hrs 30 mins...

3. It appears to coincide with the IP lease time... 

The lease time and active time appear to be in symch and reset every 2 hrs 30 mins- 3 hours or so... Its quite consistenet and really annoying...

I originally had the connection to the ethernet port on the ONT but had a tech come out and move it to the coax cable since I read some stuff that might be the cause... it had NO impact on this (so next time a tech is out I am going to have him move it back to the ethernet port)... 

I have tried unplugging devices.- no change

I had verizon send me a new router- no change

I had fios in my old home set up almost identically with no issues at all.. since I have moved to my new place (new router) I have had this issue... I am thinking about putting my old router from my old house (I still have it) back in place and see if it still happens... That router was the silver one (gen 2 or 1) vs the red one (gen 3). 

Anyone made any progress on this or found any solutions... 

Verizon treates me like a **bleep** when I call, but the tech that came out was good- but could not find a solution.I may try having him come back and help again (since they leave cards and take calls- which is great)... I wish verizon had an escalation path for those who have gone through the troubleshooting steps...

Reed

0 Likes