My wifi connection drops out all the time
geneb1

I have actiontec router.   The hardwire connection works fine but wife drops out all the time on the WIndows 7 computer.  In  fact, it simply does not stay connected.  As soon as the wifi indicator on the taskbar shows that connection is established.  It immediately disconnects and tries to connect again.  The computer works on other wifi networks fine.  It only happens on my home network.  I tried to resent and reboot the router but it does not work.  I also have MAC and iPod on the same network.  They are more stable but still drop out from time to time.

I suspect this is a faulty router problem.  

Any clues?

Thanks,

Gene

0 Likes
Re: My wifi connection drops out all the time
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You could have a faulty router.  You may want to check the channel the wireless is set to and try changing it.

1.  Connect to your router http://192.168.1.1 with a browser

2.  Choose Wireless Settings

3.  Choose Basic Security Settings

4.  Number 3 in the list is Channel.  See what it says and you can choose automatic or try channel 1, 6 or 11.

Make it something different than it already is.  See if this suggestion helps and report back the results.

Jim

tomryn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issue.  I called tech support and she thinks it is a bad router.  I am waiting for the new one, but I hope this is the issue.

I just had Fios installed, and the only changes I have made on the router are the password, and the name of it on the wifi network.  Nothing in the house (about 6 wireless connections) will stay connected for more than a couple hours.  They show they are connected to wifi, but they can not connect to the internet or anything.  I will turn the router off and back on and it will be good for another couple of hours.  If I connect with ethernet cable, it does not have a problem.

I hope the new router solves the issue.

0 Likes
tomryn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wonder if I got the router you sent back?  I know that is how Radio Shack does business, but I digress.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
Prowler2

I am experiencing the same problem. Everything has worked flawlessly since we got FIOS about 9 months ago. This week we started having computers and devices dropping out on the WiFi. The wired devices work fine. Today I have had to reboot the router three times and it only lasts a couple of hours at the most. This gets old real quick. 

0 Likes
Helford

I just had FIOS installed.  I can get on my laptop and Ipod touch no problem.  But I can not get on my 2 HP Touchpads.

Verizon told me to call HP  they said  it is not on their end.   Spend hours on the phone yesterday,  this is really getting on my nerves, and I am not happy at all.  Maybe I should have stuck with comcast.

0 Likes
Helford

Now I have to reset the router every time I want to use a tablet.

Is the problem with the router or verizon installation?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's probably a software issue. Try changing the Wireless security to use WPA2, as outlined in numerous threads in this forum. It tends to solve all sorts of odd issues. If drop-outs are still occurring, try changing the Wireless channel your router operates on, disabling Auto Channel selection, and also try switching the router to use only Wireless G mode. Failing that, just ask Verizon to send off a new router to you to see if that solves the problem.

Wireless is an animal in itself, and it needs to be treated as such. This isn't a Verizon problem per say.

0 Likes
tomryn
Enthusiast - Level 2

They said they sent a new router, but after a few days I still had not received it, so I had the technician come out and he replaced the router.  The new one is doing the same thing.  I called tech support and after being on hold for over an hour, they changed the channel to 11.  It is still dropping wireless at random times while the network is idle. 

When this happens, the connection itself is not lost (the computers all show they are still connected with a good signal, and the wireless connection is still showing up in the list) but they are unable to ping anything wirelessly (including the router itself).  Plugging in ethernet while it is in this condition will work and allow pings.

In the one week I have had Fios, I have been on the phone a total of about six hours.  The hold time is UNACCEPTABLE.  People are out of work, the products are not cheap, I should not have to wait over an hour to talk to someone.  Hire more people.

This is just the latest in a string of issues I have had in the one week since going to Fios.  My old number was brought over, and I am suddenly being flooded with telemarketing calls dispite being on the do not call list, Fios somehow cancelled my original order, so they keep calling and emailing me (the email body is blank)  telling me I have another step before they will do the install (which has obviously now been done), I'm now on my second STB which like the first one fills itself up every day by recording every episode of every show in my list despite telling it to only record one or two episodes.

At this point I regret switching to Fios.

0 Likes