NEED ADVICE SET UP ADDITION ROUTER WITH FIOS ROUTER
RAFSIO
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok guys so I'm not techy by any stretch of the imagination but I followed these instructions:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#12506

to get my second router up and running along with my FIOS one. First thing is my computer shows full signal now and I am able to connect to the network on my second router. Though my signal shows full my speed hasnt changed, I still can only get 6mb down over wifi. The first router is the FIOS Aciontec one the second router is a TPLINK G router. I assume the fios one is an N router is the fact that they are N and G effecting my speed?? Or is there something im missing here , when I connected to the FIOS router I got 2 signal bars with download 6mb, now it shows full signal on the computer but speed hasnt changed. I had RCN before 25mb internet and was able to get 25mb all day with the second router when i was using it as my primary. Any advice is welcome thanks guys.

0 Likes
Re: NEED ADVICE SET UP ADDITION ROUTER WITH FIOS ROUTER
Friendly
Contributor - Level 2

Try this site, they have GREAT techs there and it is free.

http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/

0 Likes
Friendly
Contributor - Level 2

Yes please do whatever it takes, thank you.

0 Likes
LazarX

First basic question... how is your  secondary router  connecting to your primary router?  And what is the wireless capability of both routers,  if the second one is G only than it's slow speed is going to be a choke point.  A  better bet would be to make a wired connection between the second router and the first if your'e going to keep that older unit.  If you want the maximum speed possible,  you need to have both the wired  connection between the two switches and between the second switch and  the computer.  If you do this turn off he wireless radio on the second switch unless you need it for connecting other devices.  Other thing you might want to do is check the wireless channels operating in your environment and then set both boxes  (assuming you're using the second wireless) to a fixed low population channel instead of having them auto-set.

If DHCP is on on both routers, you need to turn it off on the secondary unit.  You should only have one item managing addresses in the same network.

0 Likes
RAFSIO
Enthusiast - Level 1

the second one is G only, my question is this though, how did my 20 dollar tplink give me 20mb down with rcn, and now im on the fios one and i cant get anything over 6. I have a cat5e running from one router to the other, DHCP server is disabled on the 2nd (older g router).  So if i turn off the wireless on 2nd router, I can use it to run a cat5 from it to my PC?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes, you could use the second router as a switch.  Connect the Ethernet cable from the Actiontec port to a LAN port on the tplink (not the WAN/Internet port) and then run another Ethernet cable from another LAN port to your PC.

However, if you're going to used a wired connection rather than wifi, why use the second router  at all?  Couldn't you just run a cable from the Actiontec to your PC?

In any case, it would be a useful piece of troubleshooting info to connect via hardwire to your Actiontec.  There may be something wrong with the way your ONT is provisioned and the only way you'll know that for sure is with an Ethernet connection directly to the Actiontec with no wifi involved.  Doing that, and testing at www.speedtest.net, you should get at leat the upload and download speed you're paying for.  (I have the 35/35 plan and I always get 35 mb/s up and 42 mb/s down.)

0 Likes
RAFSIO
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hard wired into the actiontec and got 80mb down, so the speed im getting is grt, but for some reason the wifi on the router is terrible. I can be two feet away from it and I can 20 mb down only, The second router is only being used now get a hard wired connection to my pc and no wireless is being broadcasted. Now my issue is why is the actiontec wireless so bad. Maybe ill try moving it around the apt and see if that changes anything. Any ideas?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Do you have another device available you could use to test the speed you get from the Actiontec router?  

I would think it worthwhile do try another device, maybe friend's laptop, iPad, etc., to determine if the problem is with the Actiontec's wifi output or with your PC.

And you said you assume your Actiontec is 80211.n.  What exact model is the Actiontec?  You can find it on the label on the router.

0 Likes
RAFSIO
Enthusiast - Level 1

Model is MI424WR, just tested on laptop four feet away 19 mb down, ipad testd 15mb down, and i have the 75mb internet ....

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It's the letter following MI424WR that determines the version of the router.  Rev L is the latest.

You can do a couple of things that might shed some light though.  One is download and install this free utility:

http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

It will tell you details about the settings on your wifi signal and also others around you.

Also, you can go into your Actiontec's setup wifi section and make sure you have 80211.n enabled.  If you need help doing that, you can download the user guide for your specific model here:

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Internet/fiosinternet/networking/user+guides/user+guide...

0 Likes