Re: NEED ADVICE SET UP ADDITION ROUTER WITH FIOS ROUTER
RAFSIO
Enthusiast - Level 1

So i checked it model I, I checked the settings and actually didnt have it in N, its in b/g/n mode but i have to keep it that way since i just realized not all devices are N compatible. I downloaded the program you suggested. What should I look for to tell to show me why the wifi signal is so low across the apt?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The inSSIDer utlity should show your wifi signal is 80211.n.

You might try setting the mode to 80211.n to see if that makes a difference.  If you have it set to b/g/n and you have a 211.b device connected, that could be the cause of the slow wifi speeds you're seeing.

0 Likes
RAFSIO
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok ill will try switching to and N and see if that helps. Do channels make a big difference, if i see alot of networks around me as the same channel should I chose one they are not using and the app you showed me shows N.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes, it's a good idea to select a channel not in use nearby you.  Having another wifi signal on the same channel wouldn't make any difference if your only a couple of feet away from your router, but as you move further away another signal on the same frequency could definitely interfere.

0 Likes
Detailed WiFi Guide and Explanation
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@RAFSIO wrote:

... Do channels make a big difference, if i see alot of networks around me as the same channel should I chose one they are not using ... [?]

For starters, take a long and careful look at this detailed explanation of how WiFi operates, and how to get the very best from your gear and system.  Certainly worthwhile.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/td-p/534451

0 Likes
Re: Detailed WiFi Guide and Explanation
RAFSIO
Enthusiast - Level 1

That was a read and a half, though I did pick up some stuff I definetly didnt know before. As rec. by the read, I switched to WAP2 AES as rec. for the router I have. Didnt make any difference. My next step will be getting longer coaxial cable and moving the router around the apt to see if that helps me any. If that doesnt work I will try to get a new N router, and use that as a primary router and see if that works at all. I have never had any problems with routers in the apt before. I have had verizon routers before and they worked ok. My last one is a 54mps TPLINK for 20 bucks and it worked wonders. I'll try both of these before I give up on the internet. I have no problem running hardwired since that is what I have now and the internet is blazing fast, though we have 3 other people in the house and they rely soley on wifi so I need to do what I can to make it work great for all of us.

0 Likes