Nas support on westell 9100em
brasballs

I have a synology DS411j NAS connected via ethernet cable.   I can see it on the local network but it cannot access the internet to do software updates.   When I try to see the router via the nas it gives me an error saying it cannot retrieve an external ip.

Is there anything I need to do to allow the NAS access to the internet?

0 Likes
Re: Nas support on westell 9100em
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@brasballs wrote:

I have a synology DS411j NAS connected via ethernet cable.   I can see it on the local network but it cannot access the internet to do software updates.   When I try to see the router via the nas it gives me an error saying it cannot retrieve an external ip.

Is there anything I need to do to allow the NAS access to the internet?

are you using Dyndns or the default dns's?

What is the static IP address of the NAS?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You shouldn't need to but it depends on the setup of the NAS. If you have configured a Static IP address for the NAS, it's best to check out your network settings to make sure that you have filled out some DNS servers for it. If you simply connected up the NAS and left it working like that, it should have pulled some sort of DNS server configuration.

My advice here: Most NAS devices either come with diagnostic software or include a web-based Admin utility. See if you can find out as to whether or not the device has DNS servers first.

0 Likes
brasballs

The software supports creating a DNS which I tried to do.   Again it wouldn't communicate to the outside world.  

0 Likes
brasballs

I created a static ip..

0 Likes