Need Games for Windows Live help!
Dezinuh

Here's hoping somebody can help me resolve this issue, as it's been driving me crazy for the past 3 weeks...

My FIOS internet connection is fine. I can connect to the web; I can upload and download files; I can connect to Xbox Live with no problems. I can even connect to my wireless network from my laptop. But...

I cannot, for some reason, connect to Games for Windows in any game that supports it. And I'm not talking about playing multiplayer games, either -- I'm talking about simply connecting to the service in any game that supports it -- Gears of War 2, Viva Pinata, Fallout 3... no dice. Whenever I try, it says the Live service is down. It's not -- I've called friends who are connected to the service, and even brought my PC into the office to have my IT guys look at it (I'm a game developer) and connect to it. I called Verizon tech support, and to be honest, they were clueless at best, and downright rude at worst. The things they suggested -- the ports aren't open, the service is down, etc. -- weren't the issue. I made sure of that.

Here's where I think the problem lies. When I look at my network page (in Vista), it says I'm not connected to the Internet --  have the line going to the "globe" (representing the internet) and it has a red X through it. I don't know why -- I obviously am connected. But there's something in the way my network is being set up that makes Games for Windows Live not recognize it.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Need Games for Windows Live help!
Barking_Pumpkin1
Enthusiast - Level 3
This isn't an answer to your question but I get that same issue.  Right now it says that I'm connected to the network locally and when I go to the network page it shows a connection to the router but not to the internet.  However, as you can see, I am connected and replying to the previous writers post.  It's an intermittent problem but I can consistently see it when I'm on my hardwired computer and my wife is on the laptop connecting wirelessly.  Do you think it's neighbors tapping into our network?  I'd be interested to know. 
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
The actiontech router has a small routing table and other issues, so see as need be http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router
0 Likes
va3bells
Enthusiast - Level 2
I had a similar issue.  The X in the Vista network was due to firewall settings and/or no specific channel assignment in the router.   I fine tuned the firewall (reviewed every setting) and assigned a dedicated channel in the router and the X went away.  Also the assignment of a specific channel fixed an intermiittment problem in maintaining wireless connectivity from my vista to the router.
0 Likes
Whitestar19
Enthusiast - Level 1

I FOUND A SOLUTION!!!  It worked for me!

For XP do the following:

1.) press Start -> Run. Type in CMD and press OK, you'll get a command prompt window.

2.) type " netsh winsock reset " (without the " ) and press enter.

3.) REBOOT YOUR PC

4.) again press Start -> Run. Type in CMD and press OK, you'll get a command prompt window.

5.) type " netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt " (without the ")

6.) REBOOT YOUR PC

7.) Start GTA IV and log into your online account!

Thank the GTAIV community for this one!

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=381025&st=0&#entry1058726225

Dezinuh

Woooohhooooooo!!!

Whitestar, you did it! Oh my God, I can't believe it, it worked!!!

Dude, i have tried everything! Thank you SO much for posting this! God, I am so psyched -- I posted that original message so long ago, I thought it was a lost cause. I just checked on a fluke -- I never thought I'd actually find an answer!

Thanks again!

0 Likes