Need IP Phone on 2nd floor, so thinking I need cat5 connection installed up there?
jbmurray

Ok.  Looking for any advice.  We have Fios wireless modem installed on 1st floor.  My office is on 2nd floor at opposite side of the house.  My house is 4500 SQFT, so a lot of space between right and left side of house.  We get a very bad signal on the opposite side of the house on 2nd floor.  I need to be on my laptop and IP phone in there.  I have thought about a wireless extender/booster, but I'd really rather not have my IP phone run off wireless, plus I'd have to buy a new IP wireless phone.  There is a phone and FIOS cable tv jack in my office room, but no cat5 jack directly from FIOS modem.  BTW, I would like to have the wireless coverage better on 2nd floor for a different reason, which is for my company T-Mobile cell phone to be able to connect via the internet.  cell coverage on my property is horrible for all carriers, but I do fine when my cell is within range of the wireless FIOS internet.

Thanks.

JB

0 Likes
Re: Need IP Phone on 2nd floor, so thinking I need cat5 connection installed up there?
jbmurray

Just to clarify, is the best option to run cat5 cable from modem on 1st floor to the 2nd floor office on other side of house?  I'm not at all experienced in running cable through the walls, so it may be more than i can bite off.  I'm assuming I can't utilize the Fios TV jack that was installed for internet?

0 Likes