Need for MOCA connectivity with a Cable Card
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

I  got tired of paying $30 a month for two setop boxes and the whole house DVR option so I purchased a Tivo Roamio Plus and a Tivo Mini.

I now pay Tivo $12.50 a month plus I rent a cable card for $4.95 from Verizon.   With  the Tivo I have a superior DVR, six tuners  and increased storgage.   What I don't have is access to Verizon's VOD library.

Currently I have my net work double NATed behind an Actiontec router.   The only two devices using the DHCP funtion on the Actiontec were the set top boxes.   The  Actiontec also supplied the WAN IP to my outer router.

Is there any reason I can't have Verizon enable the Ethernet WAN connection on the OTN and connect it directly to my router and shut the Actiontec down?  (I don't need the guide as Tivo furnishes its own program  guide and VOD isn't available from Verizon using a cable card.)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need for MOCA connectivity with a Cable Card
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@CaptainSTX wrote:

I  got tired of paying $30 a month for two setop boxes and the whole house DVR option so I purchased a Tivo Roamio Plus and a Tivo Mini.

I now pay Tivo $12.50 a month plus I rent a cable card for $4.95 from Verizon.   With  the Tivo I have a superior DVR, six tuners  and increased storgage.   What I don't have is access to Verizon's VOD library.

Currently I have my net work double NATed behind an Actiontec router.   The only two devices using the DHCP funtion on the Actiontec were the set top boxes.   The  Actiontec also supplied the WAN IP to my outer router.

Is there any reason I can't have Verizon enable the Ethernet WAN connection on the OTN and connect it directly to my router and shut the Actiontec down?  (I don't need the guide as Tivo furnishes its own program  guide and VOD isn't available from Verizon using a cable card.)

You are correct that you no longer need the Actiontec router as long as you change over from coax moca to ethernet. at the ONT.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@CaptainSTX wrote:

Yes you can do that, however I think you will still need to put the VZ router on the network .  I have mine connected to my gateways netgear router via lan port to the VZ router wan port and added the verizon service pf rules on the VZ router to my netgear router forwarding those ports to the vz router.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@viafax wrote:

I think you will still need to put the VZ router on the network .  
Why?  If the OP has the ONT provisioned for cat5 and has only cable card devices, there is no need for the Actiontec (except in the case of calling for support). 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@CaptainSTX wrote:

You are correct that you no longer need the Actiontec router as long as you change over from coax moca to ethernet. at the ONT.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for confirming my supposition.

Step one will be to change from coaxial connection to Actiontec to Ethernet.  

Step two, if no issues I will pull the Actiontec out of my network setup.  No hurry to return the router as I am not paying a monthly rental fee.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Keep the router, that is the only way Verizon will give you support if you have a problem down the road.

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@viafax wrote:

I think you will still need to put the VZ router on the network .  
Why?  If the OP has the ONT provisioned for cat5 and has only cable card devices, there is no need for the Actiontec (except in the case of calling for support). 

Because they won't give you any support without it there.

0 Likes