Need help adding 2nd router
bpotter43

I have a Westell 9100EM Verizon Fios router but when they installed they also included my Linksys WRT54G2 router in the network, I have since then had to reset the Westell and now I cant get my Linksys to work again, I tried accessing the Westell but did not know the password tried all the ones I found on the forums and so that is why I had to reset it. But I have no idea what the installer did to get mine to work with the Westell one, I use the linksys to hook up my 3 desktops and laptop and the wife uses the wireless. I need the Linksys as my pcs are all on the other side of the apartment and have no way of getting them to be able to hook into the Westell.

0 Likes
Re: Need help adding 2nd router
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Its far easier and smarter to configure your linksys to work with the westell instead of vice versa. Hook a pc to the linksys. Open a browser. Put 192.168.1.1. Admin user and I think password is blank unless u changed it. The very first page has ur ip address. Just change the third octet to any number other than 1. 192.168.15.1 is fine. Save it and enjoy. Takes less than a few minutes.
0 Likes
bpotter43

Tried that did not work and thats what ive been trying to do is get mine to work with the Westell but cant seem to figure it out on how to configure it

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I know this might be a silly question, but have you cycled the power on your linksys after you reset your Westel?

Go to a DOS prompt on a PC connected to the Linsys and run ipconfig /all. What is the IP and default gateway?

Post results here.

Do the same when connected to the Westel.

Also if the Linksys router is your wireless AP, it could be an issue if you also have wireless enabled on the Westel. It all depends on how the PCs were connecting.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@prisaz wrote:

Also if the Linksys router is your wireless AP, it could be an issue if you also have wireless enabled on the Westel. It all depends on how the PCs were connecting.

No reason the linksys couldn't be a second wireless AP.

OP  do you see the Linksys in your device table on the Westell after you reset it?

How did the installer connect the Linksys? Westell Lan port to Linksys Wan or Lan port?

prisaz
Legend

@viafax999 wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

No reason the linksys couldn't be a second wireless AP.

OP  do you see the Linksys in your device table on the Westell after you reset it?

How did the installer connect the Linksys? Westell Lan port to Linksys Wan or Lan port?

Very true, providing they are on different wireless channels. But depending on where shared resources are it my not be the best solution.