Need help connecting two routers to FIOS. Access point?
xinezen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got the G1100 Quantum router and hooked up.  Works fine, but is slow.  I have 10 devices using the router and want to hook up my old Actiontec MI424WR router and have about half the slower 2.4 devices connect to the old router, and the others connect to the 5.0 ghz G1100 router.  I was told by Verizon chat that this is possible to do and I just called tech support and was told this was not possible. Can anyone help me with the steps to set this up?  I know a bit about computers, no expert or anything, but have about an intermediate knowledge of networks.  I read somewhere online that I could hook up the old router to the new via Wan to LAN cable and configure the older one as an access  point?  True?  If so, any help would greatly be appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Need help connecting two routers to FIOS. Access point?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The Quantum router has separate SSIDs built in to connect to the 5 and 2.4 networks. If your wireless computers are too far away from the Quantum Gateway I suggest you get a Network Extender instead. https://www.verizon.com/home/fios-accessories/fios-network-extender/

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@xinezen wrote:

Got the G1100 Quantum router and hooked up.  Works fine, but is slow.  I have 10 devices using the router and want to hook up my old Actiontec MI424WR router and have about half the slower 2.4 devices connect to the old router, and the others connect to the 5.0 ghz G1100 router.  I was told by Verizon chat that this is possible to do and I just called tech support and was told this was not possible. Can anyone help me with the steps to set this up?  I know a bit about computers, no expert or anything, but have about an intermediate knowledge of networks.  I read somewhere online that I could hook up the old router to the new via Wan to LAN cable and configure the older one as an access  point?  True?  If so, any help would greatly be appreciated.  Thanks.

You can attach the old router in bridged mode to any coax connector in the premises either directly or via splitter if the connector is already in use.

You would need to configure the old router to use an ip address on the new router subnet, not be a dhcp server and disable the coax broadband connection.  The link below should tell you how to do that.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

You could also set the old router in bridged mode by connecting a lan port from the new router to a lan port on the old router after having configured it as above.

Also could configure the old router to be on a subnet other than 192.168.1 then connecting a lan port of the new router to the wan port of the old router.

0 Likes
Shmooney

This is a very late reply, I know. I just did this operation yesterday. Disabling the broadband connection (coax) in the old Fios router is bad instruction. Do not do it. Good luck to anyone else!

0 Likes