Need help picking between router setup options
FriendlyFarmer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please help if you can. 😍I am stuck in a decision loop and can't see which option would be best.  I own a Verizon Gateway Router, and just bought an ASUS AX6000, have one Verizon Extender Router at the TV. I've been reading the forums and know there are some options for setting up.

#1- I can set up my new router by itself, and just lose some functionality on our FIOS TV (Remote DVR, etc). We don't really use the TV that much (have an old set top box, not the new FIOS One).

#2a-I can link the Verizon Router to the New one, and get back all or most of the lost TV functionality. Some options involve making the old Verizon router primary: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

#2b- and some use the new router as primary 

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632

Is one of the options clearly better than the others? Is one more likely to work and be relatively problem-free?

If you can help me see the big picture in terms of picking a direction, I would appreciate it!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need help picking between router setup options
jonjones1
Legend

2a) is pretty easy. First you must switch over to ethernet if you have not done so already.

you then take your Verizon router as primary, and set your Asus in Access Point mode. (AP Mode in your asus routers settings) this will give you functionality without losing the TV if what you want to do is not use it that much. 

with the asus handling the ip assignments it will just be the Verizon gateway router getting the internet connection. You can however use the lan ports on the Verizon router and I recommend you turn off WiFi on the Verizon router just in case you have overlapping signal .

I know that it’s simpler without any tv connection and internet only. I believe you can use the Verizon extender with just a moca adapter to operate your tv service but alas I don’t have tv with Verizon. I forgot to mention at what speed your internet service is? 
for lower speeds the Verizon router should be just fine with just extenders if need be.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

2a) is pretty easy. First you must switch over to ethernet if you have not done so already.

you then take your Verizon router as primary, and set your Asus in Access Point mode. (AP Mode in your asus routers settings) this will give you functionality without losing the TV if what you want to do is not use it that much. 

with the asus handling the ip assignments it will just be the Verizon gateway router getting the internet connection. You can however use the lan ports on the Verizon router and I recommend you turn off WiFi on the Verizon router just in case you have overlapping signal .

I know that it’s simpler without any tv connection and internet only. I believe you can use the Verizon extender with just a moca adapter to operate your tv service but alas I don’t have tv with Verizon. I forgot to mention at what speed your internet service is? 
for lower speeds the Verizon router should be just fine with just extenders if need be.

FriendlyFarmer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your advice JonJones.  That was the option I was leaning toward so good to hear it is not too hard to do. To answer your question, we get Gigabit service, and wanted to maximize our WiFi speed and coverage.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

All of the resources you cited are potentially out of date and out of maintenance.

From the devices you have, your problem really boils down to two questions.

1) Do you want to use a Verizon router as the primary router or use your Asus router?

2) How are wireless devices scattered around the house (clustered in specific areas, moving all the time, or...)?

All routers can have their essence of what makes them a router chopped away, to become a layer 2 device, or in popular terms (not 100% descriptive and correct), an extender or an access point.

jonjones1
Legend

@FriendlyFarmer wrote:

Thanks for your advice JonJones.  That was the option I was leaning toward so good to hear it is not too hard to do. To answer your question, we get Gigabit service, and wanted to maximize our WiFi speed and coverage.

Then you are good to go...🙂

FriendlyFarmer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Cang_Household.

***All of the resources you cited are potentially out of date and out of maintenance.

Do you have any advice on more up-to-date resources?

***From the devices you have, your problem really boils down to two questions.

***1) Do you want to use a Verizon router as the primary router or use your Asus router?

This was basically what I needed help answering, because I don't know enough about the big picture to be know which ones should be preferred.  I *think* making the Verizon primary has more advantages, but not really sure if that is true. 

***2) How are wireless devices scattered around the house (clustered in specific areas, moving all the time, or...)?

Good question. Fios comes into the house at one end, and that is where the ONT and Gateway and splitter (COAX to TV) are set up. My home office (with desktop) is at the other end (~3 rooms away). I rely on the wifi, which works ok, but sometimes there are issues. I purchased the ASUS with the hope that the speed and signal strength to my home office would improve. 

The TV is in the middle of the house, which is also where the Verizon Wifi Extender is.  In addition to my desktop, laptops move around and are used in various locations, along with phones and ipads. Signal strength is choppy, but covers most of the house. My main goal is to improve wifi without completely screwing everything up.