Need help transitioning to new router
Not applicable

I recently ran my own ethernet network and hook up my existing G1100 router to the ethernet wire from my ONT. I have a patch panel and a switch.  The G1100 is hooked directly from the patch panel and I have my two LAN direct from the router to my computers. Wifi is working perfectly.

Now, when I try to change to a new router, I cannot get it working properlly.  Before I switch the ethernet cable from the G1100 router to the new one, I flush the DHCP by going to My Network>Broadband Connection>Settings>Release DHCP and immediately unplug the G1100.

I have tried this now on 2 routers, T-Link AC5400, which worked but kept dropping both ethernet and WiFi, and today Netgear Nighthawk X6S (R8000p)-AC4000, which did I could not get through the full set up for the Wifi. Of course, when I plug back in the G1100, it works perfectly.

Do I need to leave the G1100 unplugged overnight before attempting to plug in the new router? Is there something else fundamentally wrong with what I am doing? I guess I could buy a G1100 to replace the rental, but really wanted to upgrade my router for triband and coverage.

Look forward to your answers.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need help transitioning to new router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don’t need to Release the DHCP any more when swapping the router. Verizon layer 3 will automatically assign you a new IP.

Seems you got everything working again. If you have more questions, I am happy to help. Did your helper pull Ethernet wire for you?

View solution in original post

Not applicable

Forgot to add, the cord is cut so there is no coax hooked up to the G1100. No more cable TV.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Coax MoCA seems to be irrelevant here. It seems to be a WAN DHCP problem. Can you and do you know how to check the WAN DHCP logs on your Netgear or TP-Link routers? The logs are handy in terms of troubleshooting.

Not applicable

Thanks for replying. I was hoping you might help me again.

I do not know how to check those logs. I returned the TP-Link router.  I never got the Netgear router functional as i got it to connect to the Ethernet but  it the Wi-Fi so I stopped using the apps and disconnected so I don’t think I could have gotten the logs on that. I put back the G1100 and it is working just fine. 

I had released the DHCP lease on the G1100 before unplugging it.  This where I did it  I have not done it in this snapshot  image

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don’t need to Release the DHCP any more when swapping the router. Verizon layer 3 will automatically assign you a new IP.

Seems you got everything working again. If you have more questions, I am happy to help. Did your helper pull Ethernet wire for you?

Not applicable

Thank you thank you thank you!

Holy cow!  I cannot beleive that not releasing the DHCP was the key!

I got the instructions from the pinned topic here on the forum.

Perhaps someone should update it?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bob27nli wrote:

Perhaps someone should update it?

For suggestions, can you post them in the Suggestions for This Community discussion board? Thanks. I think somebody will take care of it.

Not applicable

Will do!

Thank you so much for your help!