Need help using 3rd party router on Fios w/o stringing new ethernet cables
mzakker

I’m having a problem using my own Asus ac68u router as primary on my Verizon Fios service and would greatly appreciate any help on getting this to work.

Background: I have FIOS internet (100/100) and TV service in my apartment which is wired with coax (not Ethernet). Running Ethernet cables is not an option for me. I have a Fios ONT that runs 3 coax cables out to various rooms in my apartment. My living room is where I have a coax cable running into a Verizon splitter and then splitting 1 cable to the STB and another to the Verizon Gateway G1100 router. The Verizon router doesn’t run very well and the wifi is weak, so I’d very much like to replace it with my own Asus ac68u router. I’ve attempted to simply plug the coax cable into an Actiontec Bonded Moca 2.0 adapter (ECB6200S02) but later learned that it wouldn’t work because of the lack of Moca WAN detection of these adapters. (Moca LAN detection works fine, but not WAN). Therefore I determined that completely removing the G1100 wouldn’t be an option for me. I’d have to use the G1100, but that I could probably use it as a Moca bridge. I followed the instructions at this site:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31057540-Networking-HOW-TO-Bridge-G1100-So-your-Router-becomes-Prim...

Two things of note:

• On step 4, I was not able to select ‘Minimum Security’ on the IPv6 section because that section was grayed out and fixed at the Medium/Middle setting.
  • I did step 8 before step 7 because otherwise the option to release the IP would disappear.

This worked to getting the G1100 into bridge mode and my Asus router was able to access the internet. HOWEVER, after 2 hours, I would always lose my internet connection and I’d have to reboot the Asus router to re-establish internet connection (and it gets a new IP in the process). Obviously this isn’t a working solution so I have no clue as to why I keep losing the connection after 2 hours. I assume it has something to do with the Verizon IP lease which times out after 2 hours, so it would seem that my router can obtain an IP when restarted but possibly there’s a communication issue when trying to communicate with Verizon to maintain/refresh that IP or to keep the IP alive?

So that’s my big #1 issue.

I also have a second issue, which I believe will be with the STB. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the STB needs to communicate with the internet for TV guide/menu/update purposes, and that it does this by communicating through the router. (I have no DVR and never use On Demand, if that matters) So based on the Verizon Fios FAQ, section 3.1 General Networking here:

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.1_General_Networking

It would seem that only option 5 double-bridge is what I need. I’ve read the instructions but they don’t seem to address the nuances of the G1100 and also don’t lay out the instructions clearly enough for me to follow. Is it as simple as turning the G1100 into bridge mode and then just plugging in an Ethernet cable from the Asus LAN to the G1100 WAN? (I’ve also seen people say to plug it into the G1100 LAN).

Also, is swapping the MAC addresses of the devices necessary, and if so, should I do this during the initial Moca bridging of the G1100?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to provide as much information and be as clear as possible as to my situation.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I’ve spend many days racking my brain on this.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need help using 3rd party router on Fios w/o stringing new ethernet cables
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

For this router, you can go to Administrative > Operation Mode and turn on Access Point mode instead of putting the G1100 in bridge mode.

I recommand factory resetting the G1100, then just disabling the WiFi radios, Setting your ASUS router to Access Point mode instead. 

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1015009/

This way the G1100 is still responsible for managing security and clients, but you can use the much more powerful wireless radio of the ASUS router to have devices connect.

View solution in original post

Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

For this router, you can go to Administrative > Operation Mode and turn on Access Point mode instead of putting the G1100 in bridge mode.

I recommand factory resetting the G1100, then just disabling the WiFi radios, Setting your ASUS router to Access Point mode instead. 

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1015009/

This way the G1100 is still responsible for managing security and clients, but you can use the much more powerful wireless radio of the ASUS router to have devices connect.

mzakker

Thanks but I would prefer to use the Asus as primary because of a built in ad blocker, better vpn features, and a few other features, some of which require it to be primary in order to function. 

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

After your Asus loses Internet, login to the web interface and look what your "WAN IP" is. Are you seeing a public address, or a 192.168.1.X address? This will help troubleshooting.   

As for your 2nd issue, yes it should be as simple as running an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on your Asus router to a LAN port on the G1100. After thats complete reboot your set top boxes, and test connectivity. 

Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader
@mzakker wrote:

Thanks but I would prefer to use the Asus as primary because of a built in ad blocker, better vpn features, and a few other features, some of which require it to be primary in order to function. 

Whoops, my apologies, I totally went off on my own thoughts, sorry about this.

0 Likes
mzakker

It picks up a public IP each time. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@mzakker wrote:

Try here https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

secion 3 

It will answer and assist you.

Good Luck

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mzakker wrote:

Ok. When the router does it again, login to the web interface, and go to the "System Log" option. If possible, please copy and paste it here. 

mzakker

I've gone through Section 3 many times but it doesn't help me.

0 Likes
mzakker

So I went into the router log and there were no updates during the time when the router loses connection to the internet. My settings for the log file were: Default message log level = debug ; and Log only messages more urgent then = all.

The Windows 10 network icon in the system tray never changes to show that I'm no longer connected, it simply looks as if I'm connected. When I right click the icon and say Troubleshoot Problems, windows ultimately says that there's a break in the internet connections between the computer, the router, or modem. Not helpful. So when the router loses connection, I have to restart it. It regains connection and gets a new external IP address. The log file after the reboot looks like this:

Jan 30 21:30:18 rc_service: service 881:notify_rc restart_dnsmasq
Jan 30 21:30:18 miniupnpd[878]: upnp_event_send: send(): Connection reset by peer
Jan 30 21:30:18 admin: AB-Solution added entries via /jffs/scripts/post-mount
Jan 30 21:30:18 rc_service: ntp 875:notify_rc restart_upnp
Jan 30 21:30:18 rc_service: waitting "restart_dnsmasq" via  ...
Jan 30 21:30:19 rc_service: hotplug 836:notify_rc restart_nasapps
Jan 30 21:30:19 rc_service: waitting "restart_dnsmasq" via  ...
Jan 30 21:30:19 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf (args: /etc/dnsmasq.conf)
Jan 30 21:30:20 admin: AB-Solution added entries via ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh
Jan 30 21:30:20 admin: AB-Solution linked ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh via /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
Jan 30 21:30:20 miniupnpd[878]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Jan 30 21:30:21 miniupnpd[946]: HTTP listening on port 53162
Jan 30 21:30:21 miniupnpd[946]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Jan 30 21:30:21 rc_service: ntp 875:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Jan 30 21:30:21 disk_monitor: Finish
Jan 30 21:30:23 iTunes: daemon is stopped
Jan 30 21:30:23 FTP_Server: daemon is stopped
Jan 30 21:30:23 Samba_Server: smb daemon is stopped
Jan 30 21:30:23 kernel: gro disabled
Jan 30 21:30:24 disk_monitor: be idle
Jan 30 21:30:24 Timemachine: daemon is stopped
Jan 30 21:30:24 miniupnpd[946]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Jan 30 21:30:24 kernel: gro enabled with interval 2
Jan 30 21:30:26 Samba_Server: daemon is started
Jan 30 21:30:27 miniupnpd[974]: HTTP listening on port 52280
Jan 30 21:30:27 miniupnpd[974]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Jan 30 21:30:43 crond[504]: time disparity of 1316310 minutes detected

Again, any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure why the router is unable to keep its connection alive, and disconnects after what I assume is Verizon 2-hour IP lease.

0 Likes