Need help with FIOS router LAN ports ('cannot obtain IP address')
knorcr

Anyone else encounter a problem with the LAN ports on their FIOS router? 

For some reason, I lost internet access; I do show a connection, but I get the "limited or no connectivity" warning, and if I attempt to 'repair' the connection, I get  "unable to repair  - cannot obtain IP address".

I ran through the steps on the In-Home Agent ( power off/on router, reset router), but it still doesn't work - I tried hooking up my laptop (using a new Ethernet cable) to one of the unused LAN ports, and it does the exact same thing .... ("cannot obtain IP address").

I still can connect wirelessly with my laptop, but that doesn't do me any good - my desktop doesn't have wireless capability.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Need help with FIOS router LAN ports ('cannot obtain IP address')
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does it happen with more than one machine?

If so it would point to the switch side of your router having failed and that you should contact Verzon to obtain a replacment.

If it only happens with one hard wired machine it points to either a bad nic driver or a defective nic on the machine.  Try reinstalling the nic drivers or if possible replacing the nic.

0 Likes
knorcr

Yes, the problem still exists even if I use a different computer (my laptop), and use a different ethernet cable and LAN port.

0 Likes
MrTantrum
Enthusiast - Level 3

Silly question, but did you reboot your router?  Assuming everything is still wired then it sounds like you are having a DHCP issue.  Since you probably can't get to your router to diagnose (you have no IP), you will need to manually set an IP on the same subnet as your router then try connecting to it via web browser.  Once this has been accomplished (assuming the reboot did not work) then you will need to check the DHCP server configuration.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Knorcr wrote:

Yes, the problem still exists even if I use a different computer (my laptop), and use a different ethernet cable and LAN port.

If you can connect wirelessly that shows that your dhcp server is working OK so it must be that the switch in the router has died.