Need help with extending wireless signal with powerline
Crazz779

I purchased actiontec megaplugs (uses powerline) to extend my internet to areas in my house where wireless signal was pathetic and it works wonderfully. Il never bothered setting up a password, but I doubt my neighbors are seeing the signal from the powerline or care. I have a paasword with my wireless signal.

However now I need the wireless signal in those areas as I can't plug iPads and iPods like I could with the computers and Xbox, etc. using the ethernet cable from the megaplug. I've read options in some forums but it didn't seem to address specifically what I have. Can I just plug the Ethernet cable from my mega plug into any 15$ wireless router and have the wireless signal sent out from that router?

Like this device?

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?px=DN&scriteria=BA76761

Or is it more complicated then this and what do I need to do? Thank you

0 Likes
Re: Need help with extending wireless signal with powerline
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Crazz779 wrote:

Can I just plug the Ethernet cable from my mega plug into any 15$ wireless router and have the wireless signal sent out from that router? 

Yes. it's pretty much that simple. You want to connect the ethernet cable from the megaplug into a LAN port on the router and disable DHCP server on the router.

The device you linked has only a WAN port.  No mention of a bridge mode.  This means any devices attached to it wirelessly will be double NAT'ed behind the Actiontec.  That may not be a problem if the devices only need internet access, but if the devices want to access other devices on your LAN, they're going to have a problem.

0 Likes
Crazz779

Thank you. A lot of what you said I don't really understand, but just want it to work simply, which is why I bought the mega plugs.  When you say ' disable DHCP server on the router,' do you mean log into the new router and do this? I don't need to for the actiontec as well, right? Also once a signal is sent from the new router will the device seeing the wireless signal see two wifi networks with the same name like 'L8F6P' or will it see a new network name coming from the new router(seems unlikely). Sorry if obvious and dumb Q.

What about this one for the LAN problem?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?SID=VURxdEtnb0JDamdBQUQ3MkJ4Z0FBQUpi&is=REG&Q=&PID=5...

Thanks 

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Crazz779 wrote:

When you say ' disable DHCP server on the router,' do you mean log into the new router and do this?

Yes, disable DHCP server on the new router.  You don't want to have DHCP server active on both routers.

Crazz779 wrote:

Also once a signal is sent from the new router will the device seeing the wireless signal see two wifi networks with the same name like 'L8F6P' or will it see a new network name coming from the new router(seems unlikely).

The new router will have it's own default SSID different from the Actiontec.  It's a good idea to make both SSIDs and passwords the same.  That way you can seamlessly move from one WAP to the other.

Yes, that Trendnet should do the job.

0 Likes
Crazz779

I'm sorry to ask this but my situation is obviously different... I just need step by step setup.  The trendnet installation guide states plug my modem into WAN slot and computer into LAN slot and the run wizard. I want this router downstairs as my fios actiontec is upstairs. My megaplug is plugged into the actiontec fios router upstairs and sending signal downstairs via powerline. Would I instead plug the downstair's megaplug outgoing cable into WAN or LAN. You said just plug into LAN.  

Please state the order I should set this up as my setup is a little bit different then what the installation guide states.  I DO have a computer downstairs that I could use if needed.  

I also don't know how to change the SSID in the new router.

Thank you

0 Likes