Need my own router
blessed730
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have internet only with 300/300 speed. Can I purchase my own router, and if so, what is the best one to buy. Is connecting my own router difficult? Assistance needed !

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need my own router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@blessed730 wrote:

I have internet only with 300/300 speed. Can I purchase my own router, and if so, what is the best one to buy. Is connecting my own router difficult? Assistance needed !

Yes you can. Anything dual band 2.4/5 GHz Wireless AC. Make sure you don’t get anything that says “Modem” or ”Docsis”. That is a cable modem and will not work. 

As far as installing it you just need to take the WAN ethernet wire out of you Verizon router and connect it to your new router’s WAN port and go through the setup. Most new router’s have an app you can download to setup on your phone. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@blessed730 wrote:

Yes you can. Anything dual band 2.4/5 GHz Wireless AC. Make sure you don’t get anything that says “Modem” or ”Docsis”. That is a cable modem and will not work. 

As far as installing it you just need to take the WAN ethernet wire out of you Verizon router and connect it to your new router’s WAN port and go through the setup. Most new router’s have an app you can download to setup on your phone. 

jonjones1
Legend

@blessed730 wrote:

You dont need the verizon router at all. Its a simple eternet cable from the ONT to the WAN port on your customer owned router. Wait for it to get a DHCP from verizon then you should be good to go.

return that junk g1100 router back to verizon and get a receipt. Very important to get a receipt.

JC-NYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

You will still need the Verizon router if you have FiOS TV (for the channel guides) as it needs the MOCA signal over the COAX via the Verizon router.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JC-NYC wrote:

You will still need the Verizon router if you have FiOS TV (for the channel guides) as it needs the MOCA signal over the COAX via the Verizon router.

Actually no you don’t. With your own router just a MOCA adapter and a splitter is all thats needed.

0 Likes
skypickle

can you elaborate about the adapter and the splitter? Why would i need a splitter?

0 Likes
skypickle

i only have a single coax going in to the G-1100.  would i take that coax to go into the moca adapter and then what? This moca adapter has coax out

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7O3X0/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B013J7O3X0&pd_rd_w=Ljsmd&pf_...

Dont I need an ethernet jack to plug into the wan port of my new router?

0 Likes
skypickle

my mistake, the other side has an ethernet port. So Then I would not need a splitter, just that box?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@skypickle wrote:

my mistake, the other side has an ethernet port. So Then I would not need a splitter, just that box?

Correct. 

0 Likes