Need to add an additional router? Help!
Woodywalks
Enthusiast - Level 2
I've seen similar postings, but not addressing my issue, and I need Help! I have FiOS TV/Internet. From the central FiOS unit, one outbound line goes to a MI424WR wireless router. The other outbound lines go to various rooms with TV connections via coaxial cables. One of these rooms is my "office/mancave", which is over 200 feet from my MI424WR router, so the wireless connection is not as strong/fast as I need it to be. I would like to add a router or "other" device in the office that would allow a "wired" connection to my computer in that room AND provide a stronger wireless connection for that end of the property. So, the question(s) are: 1) Do I/can I add another MI424WR router to that room and get the wired connection and the additional wireless connectivity?; 2) would another router type work?; 3) does Verizon allow such a connection (and do they care?); is there something more simple than an additional router?; and finally, what settings would be necessary for it all to work and not screw everything up? Appreciate your comments! Please keep them understandable for non-technical types like me! Thanks! Jim in Texas
0 Likes
Re: Need to add an additional router? Help!
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I suggest you look at an Actiontec ECB2200 MOCA adapter.  It's a plug'n'play device that will let you have a hard wired connection to the computer in your man cave.

If you need wifi service at that end of your property, you can use an Ethernet switch after the MOCA adapter to feed any model wifi adapter.  It doesn't have to be an Actiontec model.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@eljefe wrote:

I suggest you look at an Actiontec ECB2200 MOCA adapter.  It's a plug'n'play device that will let you have a hard wired connection to the computer in your man cave.

If you need wifi service at that end of your property, you can use an Ethernet switch after the MOCA adapter to feed any model wifi adapter.  It doesn't have to be an Actiontec model.

Although, I would also say if they're looking for a MoCa based Ethernet Switch + Wi-Fi router, a second ActionTec can be gotten from eBay for almost nothing.  They'll likely be older ActionTecs, but they work perfectly fine. It cuts down on the one extra device that could potentially foul up troubleshooting.

0 Likes
RAFSIO
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry to steal the thread, but Im am having the same issue the wifi is terrible in the apartment. How exactly does the Actiontec ECB2200 MOCA adapter work? I see it has a Ethernet and coaxial connection, if I wanted to run Ethernet from it to my computer I would need two of them yes? Since my router already had on coaxial cable going into it for signal. And I cant take that cable out to connect to the adapter and run another ethernet from it?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You wouldn't need two MoCa adapters...just one and one coax splitter. But do you already have coax run from where your router is located to where your computer is?

If you're going to have to run cable anyway, why not just run Cat 5e or Cat 6 Ethernet cable from the router to the PC?

If there already is coax run to near the PC then a coax splitter at the router and the MoCa adapter at the PC will be easy.

If you're looking for a coax splitter, get one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-DH24SPR-Two-Bi-Di-Splitter/dp/B0018BQR84/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&...

0 Likes
RAFSIO
Enthusiast - Level 1

yea but the ethernet cable would need to be 200ft to reach PC, guess have no other option.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

200 feet is a fairly long run but doable if you use good quality Cat 6 cable.

If you have to run coax over that distance, make sure you use good quality RG-6 cable to minimize loss.

Woodywalks
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's important to note that the coax cable is already run to the room for the TV.  I need to take that FiOS cable feed and split it to work for the TV....AND also connect the split to something that will give me a wired/wifi signal for PC and wireless access for that part of the property.

Jim in Texas

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ok...the fact that coax is already feeding a TV in that room is significant.  That makes the MoCA adapter and a splitter the easy solution.

Disconnect the coax feeding the TV and plug it into the input on the splitter.

Connect a short RG-6 coax cable from one output on the splitter to the TV.

Connect another short RG-6 coax cable from the second output on the splitter to the input on the MOCA 2200.

Connect an Ethernet cable from the output of the MoCA adapter to your PC.

Done.

If you still need wifi in that area, you can use pretty much any off-the-shelf router as a wifi adapter:

Connect the Ethernet output from the MOCA 2200 to any LAN (not the WAN/Internet) port on the second router.

Connect your PC via Ethernet to any other LAN port on the second router.

In the second router's configuration setup, turn off DHCP service and configure it to be on a different wifi channel than the Actiontec is on.

Done.

Woodywalks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you eljefe!  This sounds like a "bingo" to me!

0 Likes