Re: Need to add an additional router? Help!
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I described what's working for me here.  Let us know if it works for you too which may help others in the future.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
Woodywalks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since I have Verizon FiOS services, was wondering if I need the Actiontec ECB2200V model, which is described as a "Verizon Coaxial Network Adapter". 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ACTIONTEC-ECB2200V-VERIZON-ETHERNET-OVER-COAXIAL-NETWORK-ADAPTER-OEM-/15...

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

According to this FAQ on the Actiontec site, all ECB2200 models are compatible:

Are the different versions of the ECB devices compatible with each other and can they all be integrated to the same network?
Yes the ECB2200V (Verizon), ECB2200, and ECB2500C (**For use primarily in CABLE TV households) will operate on the same network and communicate with each other.

I'm using a plain ECB2200 but if I were going to get another one today I'd probably go for the 2200V.  I can't think of any reason not to, and that price from Amazon seems about right.

0 Likes
Woodywalks
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, trying to purchase the ECB2200V, but ran across this article referenced in one of the ebay listings:

http://www.missingremote.com/review/actiontec-ethernet-over-coax-moca-network-adapter

It appears it is requiring "two" MoCa adapters to make this work.  Question is, since I've got the Actiontec MI424WR router for internet/WIFI, does that provide the other unit needed?  For clarity, I've re-worded my situation to be clearer on what I've got, and have included below:

"I have FiOS TV/Internet. From the central FiOS unit, one outbound coax line goes to an Actiontec MI424WR wireless router which provides wifi for the main house. The other outbound coax lines go to various rooms with TV connections via coaxial cables. One of these rooms is my office in a separate building which is over 200 feet from my MI424WR router, so the wireless connection is not as strong/fast as I need it to be.  In addition to the TV in the office, I need a hard-wired connection to my computer in that office AND provide a stronger wireless connection for that end of the property.  It is important to note that the coax cable is already run to the office for the TV.  I need to take that FiOS cable feed and split it to 1) work for the TV, 2) connect a hard-wire connection to the PC, and 3) connect to an additional wireless router that will give me a better wifi signal for that part of the property."

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes, what I've already described using a coax splitter and one MoCA adapter should work your situation as you've described it.

Woodywalks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Excellent.  Thank you!!

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Note that the splitter needs to be one that carries high frequencies and is bi-directional.

As stated, you can get a MoCa adapter and a WiFi Access Point OR another used Actiontec router. If you pick up the router, you would need to configure it to point to the first (only other) router in your network rather than pointing to the FIOS network. 

There are configuration FAQs around here and on dslreports.com that explain configuring two routers in a network.

0 Likes
tonyoftampa

So is the bottom line I cannot have two routers simply plugged in but need this moca adapter device ?!

Same issue, large home, weak wifi from one router. 

My InHome Agent/account does not allow me to enter a second router to account at least I need a work around to the 

status qou. 

Thanks for a quik confirmation from one of you pros! 

0 Likes