Need to put router in another room, but no internet when plugged in. Please help!
santafeprius

So the Verizon technician came in to install everything. He changed the ONT and whatnot. But he also disconnected/disabled all the coax outlets in the house except for one which he connected the router into. I thought this would be fine, but turns out the signal doesn't reach fully to my room. Wifi signal on my phone gets weaker and weaker as I approach my room and when I enter it switches to data usage. I want to move the router upstairs but now plugging it into a coax outlet does not work. I called Verizon and they said they could send a technician over but they'd charge me. I went outside to where the technician was doing his thing and opened up some box and there were a bunch of unconnected coaxial cables in there. Is there any way for me to change which coax outlet in the house will work with the router without having to be charged for something the technician did?

0 Likes
Re: Need to put router in another room, but no internet when plugged in. Please help!
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please look at this Diagram

Everything starts at ONT(Optical Network Terminal)

Note splitters to various areas

Router is in Office Downstairs recommend that you place it near your PC where you can keep an eye on it

Marginal WiFi in Upstairs Bedroom until I got the WCB3000N Wireless Network Extender

Now have solid WiFi everywhere

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/16784/image-id/16651i669476C625F7C011

Re: Need to put router in another room, but no internet when plugged in. Please help!
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sure.

Do you have TV service along with Internet?

Did tech supply a spliter or is a single coax hooked up to the coax port on the ONT?

Do you know which cable goes to the room in question?

If so, you can just remove the cable in use now and plug the onter one in its place.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@santafeprius wrote:

So the Verizon technician came in to install everything. He changed the ONT and whatnot. But he also disconnected/disabled all the coax outlets in the house except for one which he connected the router into. I thought this would be fine, but turns out the signal doesn't reach fully to my room. Wifi signal on my phone gets weaker and weaker as I approach my room and when I enter it switches to data usage. I want to move the router upstairs but now plugging it into a coax outlet does not work. I called Verizon and they said they could send a technician over but they'd charge me. I went outside to where the technician was doing his thing and opened up some box and there were a bunch of unconnected coaxial cables in there. Is there any way for me to change which coax outlet in the house will work with the router without having to be charged for something the technician did?

If all the coax was active before he must have removed a splitter where they all come together.  Just get a new splitter and connect them all together again.  Is yout tv service with another provider?

0 Likes