Need to setup the FIOS Quantum Gateway (FIOS-G1100) as secondary router
JohnGeek

Since my internet support job uses SIP Protocol and the FIOS-G1100 by default has SIP ALG disabled, I need to have my Netgear C6300 router as the primary and the FIOS-G1100 as the secondary.  Unfortunately the FIOS-G1100 does not have a setting to disable SIP ALG via the Advanced section of the router and Verizon can not disable on their end.  The C6300 has that setting, so the FIOS-G1100 will be secondary and only serve it's function for the FIOS TV.  I need info on how the 2 routers will be bridged.  Thank you!!

0 Likes
Re: Need to setup the FIOS Quantum Gateway (FIOS-G1100) as secondary router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You may want to read this thread

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Quantum-G1100-bridge-mode/m-p/776822#M54710

I don't have that particular router however I do have my own router as the Verizon gateway.  I cascaded the routers i.e. connected a lan port of my router to the wan port of the verizon router.  Need to configure the verizon router to disable the broadband connection.  I also forwarded all the Verizon ports from my router to the verizon router.  All appears to work fine though I don't have dvr so maybe that won't work

You will need to have the ONT provisioning changed from moca to ethernet.

There are many threads on here that will point you to dslreports threads on the various option and pros and cons of each.

here is one

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking?r=0.341036457891704

JohnGeek

Thanks for the reply.  Here is what I have and understand.

1. Verizon is coming out on 6/15 to upgrade my coax to ethernet.

2. Since I need my router (DLINK DIR-880L) to handle all internet functions, the DIR-880L becomes the primary router.  So the ethernet coming from wall would pug into the WAN of the DIR-880L and then I would plug an ethernet cable from the LAN of the DIR-880L to the WAN of the FIOS Quantum Gateway Router (FIOS-G1100), my secondary router.

3. Since the FIOS Gateway Router would only be used for my FIOS TV, the broadband of the FIOS Gateway would be disabled.

Please advise how I would accomplish #3 on the FIOS Quantum Gateway Router.  Also, I know there is a bridge mode setting on the DIR-880L, but shouldn't a bridge mode setting occur on the FIOS Quantum Router?

If anything I listed above is incorrect, please correct.

Thanks!!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JohnGeek wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Here is what I have and understand.

1. Verizon is coming out on 6/15 to upgrade my coax to ethernet.

2. Since I need my router (DLINK DIR-880L) to handle all internet functions, the DIR-880L becomes the primary router.  So the ethernet coming from wall would pug into the WAN of the DIR-880L and then I would plug an ethernet cable from the LAN of the DIR-880L to the WAN of the FIOS Quantum Gateway Router (FIOS-G1100), my secondary router.

3. Since the FIOS Gateway Router would only be used for my FIOS TV, the broadband of the FIOS Gateway would be disabled.

Please advise how I would accomplish #3 on the FIOS Quantum Gateway Router.  Also, I know there is a bridge mode setting on the DIR-880L, but shouldn't a bridge mode setting occur on the FIOS Quantum Router?

If anything I listed above is incorrect, please correct.

Thanks!!

Not sure why number 1 is there unless they are going to lay ethernet cables for you.  

They can change the ont provisioning remotely, takes less than 1/2 an hour on the phone with tech support to accomplish.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@JohnGeek wrote:

I need to have my Netgear C6300 router as the primary 

The Netgear C6300 is a DOCSIS cable modem, not a router.  FIOS does not use DOCSIS, so you won't be able to use the C6300.

@JohnGeek wrote:

That's not correct.  You do not want to disable the broadband on the Gateway router.  Your Netgear router serves as the broadband connection for the FIOS Gateway router

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Guess I should look up hardware when seeing a post like this.  I assumed that the OP knew the difference between a router and a cable modem-router combination which I'm guessing he did as the posts are a little confusing as references to the Netgear router disappeared and were replaced with a Dlink DIR-800l router which is an ethernet router so could act as the gateway router.

0 Likes