Need to switch to a wired connection
marcmoran1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been haveing problems with my wireless connection. It keeps droping out and I have to reconnect every 10 or so minutes. My computer sits next to my router and I'd like to use a wired connection. I have an ethernet cable connected and set up a broadband connection. When I try to connect it asks for a user name and PW. I use the only one I know that works at Verizon but I get an error back. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong. First it says connection through WAN Miniport (PPPPOE) then Error connection Error 651.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Need to switch to a wired connection
silverado4x4
Contributor - Level 2

Its asking for the router user name and password, if you didnt change it in the router then its the default user name and password which is on the ID tag on the router. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I beleive that if you set up a broad band connection, it may be trying to connect to a raw connection, not via a router.

There should be nothing to set up.

Just plug the cable into your ethernet port.

PC should enable DHCP, get an IP address.

You will then get a pop up asking you to classify connection for security purposes.

marcmoran1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, Thanks for your response,

I loged into my router to make sure that I had the correct u/n and PW. This is the error I get.

0 Likes
marcmoran1
Enthusiast - Level 2

These are the connections I have.image

0 Likes
marcmoran1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Local area connection is disabled (notice the red x). I think this is the one you are referring to. When i click 'diagnose' I get 'plug an eithernet cable into the network adapter' I've tried several different ones and the Network adaptor socket has several blinking lights that start blinking once the cable is inserted. Could be the network card is faulty.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wouldn't hurt to try updating the driver for the Ethernet adapter. Just in case a Windows Update tried to update the driver, and installed a bad one 🙂

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/47620/Intel-82579LM-Gigabit-Ethernet-PHY

Blinking lights on the NIC is a good sign. Means the device isn't completely dead.

You can also delete the "Broadband Connection" connection from your Network Connections. It is unneeded, and is useful only for Mobile Aircards or DSL.

0 Likes
marcmoran1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have checked my driver status at Dell and Uuiblue Driverscanner. The Dell reports

At the Intel site Revs only go back to 18.4. When I try to install the latest I get:

I've tried to uninstall it 4 or 5 times followed by installing the Intel driver. Each time seems to work but it fails and the old driver comes back

imageIt doesn't show up but after the error message it reapears. I've tried disabling and deleting.

Not sure how to replace a driver that you can't get rid of!

Marc

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@marcmoran wrote:

I have checked my driver status at Dell and Uuiblue Driverscanner. The Dell reports

At the Intel site Revs only go back to 18.4. When I try to install the latest I get:

I've tried to uninstall it 4 or 5 times followed by installing the Intel driver. Each time seems to work but it fails and the old driver comes back

imageIt doesn't show up but after the error message it reapears. I've tried disabling and deleting.

Not sure how to replace a driver that you can't get rid of!

Marc

The situation is in many cases a bad update or non available update is the way chipset makers decide which get updated and those that don't . It is how computer makers get you to buy up and spend more money.

sometimes if you go into device manager and click on update driver it will say if one can be updated. 

You can also delete the driver/device from the list and when you restart your computer it should place the driver automatically.

you also can go to the chip makers site and let it do a can for the device and it should update for you.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK, so if that's happening, you may have to try to disable Automatic Driver Installation in Windows. Here's a guide which explains how to do this in Windows 7: http://www.windowsobserver.com/2009/12/29/turn-off-windows-7-automatic-driver-installation/

Also be sure you're removing the Intel Driver via Add/Remove programs. Intel Networking is typically what it's called, and removing that will take out the ProSet software as well as the driver. Just be careful not to uninstall your Wi-Fi card, if it also happens to be an Intel 🙂

The other option you have, is if you were to click on the "Custom" option instead of "Typical" or "Complete" during the Intel driver installer, uncheck everything (including Intel ProSet) except for the driver, which will be listed at the top of the installation tree. This might also help with pushing the installation through, since it's probably trying to upgrade a very old, or perhaps some future version of Intel ProSet.

Worst case, get a copy of 7-Zip on your computer and extract the .exe you downloaded from Intel's website. When extracted, you should see some driver (.ini) files in the resulting folder. You can then uninstall the Intel Networking components from Add/Remove programs or from the Device manager, and then use Device Manager to scan for Hardware Changes. Afterwards, you can then use the "Update Driver" button for the Network card and install the driver.

See if that helps. Hopefully that's not too confusing.

0 Likes