Need wifi coverage for 4 story townhome
ipcmlr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got the gigabit internet.

The g1100 is inside a closet on the first floor. WiFi signal is pretty bad.

We are never on the first floor. We use 2nd -4th floor.

So I have a few options. 1 mesh like an orbi. 2 range extender which is what I have now on the 4th floor but it appears to halve my bandwidth for some reason. 3 I was thinking is it a good idea to somehow setup the g1100 in bridge mode and use a really nice wifi router like an ac3100 and connect it to a cat5e on my 3rd floor to cover 2nd,3rd,4th floor? I have Ethernet on my 2nd,3rd,4th floor. 

I only have internet, no TV and phone.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need wifi coverage for 4 story townhome
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

WHen you test speed, Verizon will onyl recognize tests to speedtest.verizon.net.
That verifies your connection to the Verizon network.
Which is all they will guarantee.

Have you tested from Verzion router?

Depending on your computer, some have reported that driver updates can help speed.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

A range extender typically will halve your bandwidth because it switches back and forth between talking to the main router and the end devices.

I assume you have ehternet conenction from ONT to router?

Couple of options:

1) If you are Internet only, you can use any router you want. Don't have to use Verizon.

2) If your Verizon router is used because you have Coax from ONT, any way to run cat 5? If not, all you need is a less expensive router and use it as an access point (vs range extender). Just connect from lan port of Verizon router to lan port of other router. Google your particluar router to see how to make it an access point.

joe-nyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

i would stick with the orbi's - run a cat5e riser from your g1100 to the orbi main on the 3rd floor (you can do this exposed using shielded plenum cable) then put the two satellites on the 2nd and 4th floor.  as others have said, put the 1st floor g1100 into bride mode so you have more privacy from your isp while they still have the g1100 should they need to remotely diagnose your service in the future.  

when positioning orbi's be mindful of hidden metal structures that create wifi dead spots, such as reinforced concrete, metal lath in plaster walls, kitchen laundry bathroom appliances and fixtures, and pipe&wire and plumbing riser wet walls.

keep in mind gigabyte service is not always ~900mbps as most see averages far lower.  verizon is still upgrading CO's with PON2 OLT's so it may be a while till you get the full ~900, and obviously if people in your house speedtest while wireless, they will see 35 to a few hundred mbps depending on their client device's wifi channel support.

ipcmlr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for not being clear about my bandwidth being a bit less than half the advertised speed.

On wifi right next to the extender it is half which is allI want from wifi.

But when I plug into the cat5e into my laptop download its still the same half bandwidth. Is that because of the extender?

Yes the fios gateway is connected via ethernet.

Extender via coax.

I'm thinking of just getting the orbi or google wifi and just remove the original g1100.

0 Likes
ipcmlr
Enthusiast - Level 2

@joe-nyc thanks. I just might go this route.

Do I really need to run a seperate cat5e to the orbi even if I have 1st-3rd floors wired with cat5e ports?

I've google, not really extensively, but it appears there are problems when trying to put the g1100 in bridge mode. Is it as simple as turining of wirelesss on the g1100?

Sorry, I am a total noob when it comes to these things.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

This may help you for bridge mode.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31057540-Networking-HOW-TO-Bridge-G1100-So-your-Router-becomes-Pri...

Many articles on the net net seem to think it's a little complicated to do.

but read the above link. It may assist you.

Good Luck

0 Likes
joe-nyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

ipcmlr - obviously if you already have cat5 wiring in the house, use that as your riser.

i advocate orbi over google due to orbi's use of a dedicated wireless backbone.

if your house has the cat5 to connect each satellite, then google is an option.

using your g1100 in bridge mode or keeping it your local dhcp and letting your

satellites work like endpoints is a jump ball decision.

personally i hate giving verizon more information about me than needed,

so letting them manage my router at all - kinda creeps me out,

but if i was a little old lady who does not know what a router does, then...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure why you would want/need to put G1100 in bridge mode.

If you don't want to use it, then just take it out.

Haven't used Orbi or Google, but I beleive they are on the expensive side.

For the price of a couple of capable routers, you can use them in bridge mode.

I would bet you could do it for less than $200. Especially if you are not looking for super high performance and have cabled connectivity to locations you could put them.

ipcmlr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm just getting a couple of ubiquiti access points used on Craigslist and see how that goes😀

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ubiquiti, good choice!  Smiley Happy What model out of curiousity?