Neighbor (50 ft away) has FIOS, but I can't get it? HELP!
TNTRMSKD

I've been waiting for FIOS to get to my area since 2004-ish. I am/have been stuck with TWC and can not wait to ditch them. To keep it short, my neighbors (literally 50 ft across the street from me) are wired for FIOS. In fact that entire side of the block (even numbered addresses) all show FIOS as available, but my side seems to be missing it. Both blocks are private houses and not condos or apt buildings, so building managers and permissions are not the issue. Is it possible this is just an error in the database? I did some Googling and some people who were in a similar situation stated they were able to contact someone from the engineering department to come out and take a look. Usually with positive results (they ended up getting or easily being set up to get FIOS). I live in zip code 11370 on the block of 85th street between 30th and 31st avenue. Again, even side addresses all show FIOS as available, odd side address list DSL as the only option. Hopefully an admin or CS rep sees this and responds. Forget 2 year, I will sign a 10 year contract if VZ can make this happen for me. I've been subjected to Time Warner's abuse for FAR TOO LONG.

Shut up and take my money already VZ, please!

0 Likes
Re: Neighbor (50 ft away) has FIOS, but I can't get it? HELP!
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

Looks like you live right on the border of your town. Are the houses 50ft away from you in the same town as you?

If they aren't part of the same town then it's most likely not as simple as stringing some fiber across the street.

0 Likes
TNTRMSKD

@anonFios wrote:

Looks like you live right on the border of your town. Are the houses 50ft away from you in the same town as you?

If they aren't part of the same town then it's most likely not as simple as stringing some fiber across the street.

My block is suppsedly the borderline between Jackson Heights/11372 and East Elmhurst/11370. Jackson Heights has had FIOS for years now, my buddy lives in the heart of it and has been wired up since 2008 or so. East Elmhurst (the guys across the street from me and further beyond are also wired as mentioned in my previous post. C'mon VZ reps step in here and help me out...

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases".  You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information.  This should be checked on a frequent basis  as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

TNTRMKSD

I apologize but at this time, we do not provide service at your residence. Please feel free to check back in with us online at www.verizon.com or call us at 800-VERIZON.

- Mitchell

0 Likes
iMike1

TNTRMSKD, I'm having a similar problem. My next door neighbors have Verizon Fios but I can't get it. We are on the same side of the street but they are the only house on the street that can receive Verizon Fios. I have Verizon Home Phone in my house and DirecTV but I can't get Fios Internet. 

I already know they are going to say I can't get Fios Internet but I find this ridiculous that I can't get something my next neighbors can get without a problem.

PS: We are in the same town.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@iMike wrote:
I already know they are going to say I can't get Fios Internet but I find this ridiculous that I can't get something my next neighbors can get without a problem.

Is it really ridiculous?  Verizon has to draw the line somewhere.  Verizon does install specific equipment and fibers for each and every home served.  Adding coverage is not as simple as running another fiber "just 50ft" to the next home; and then the next home, and so on.  If it were easy, they would do it.

Until Verizon decides the investment is worth it to run fiber to 100% of their service areas, there will always be residences just on the edge.

Good Luck

0 Likes
iMike1

@gs0b wrote:

@iMike wrote:

Is it really ridiculous?  Verizon has to draw the line somewhere.  Verizon does install specific equipment and fibers for each and every home served.  Adding coverage is not as simple as running another fiber "just 50ft" to the next home; and then the next home, and so on.  If it were easy, they would do it.

Until Verizon decides the investment is worth it to run fiber to 100% of their service areas, there will always be residences just on the edge.

Good Luck

I know they can't just add another 50 ft everywhere. I'm just getting impatient waiting for the day Fios will come to my area. I'm not expecting anything within another 5 years because only some houses in the area that I live in can recieve it. Every time I search for Fios availability and map, it says half my state (New Jersey) can't recieve it. I would be fine if nobody had it but the few houses here and there that do have it bothers me. 

I really don't want to go to something like Comcast to recieve non-DSL internet. 

0 Likes
TNTRMSKD

@Verizon_Support wrote:

TNTRMKSD

I apologize but at this time, we do not provide service at your residence. Please feel free to check back in with us online at www.verizon.com or call us at 800-VERIZON.

- Mitchell

This is pretty much the same garbage response every representative has given me, even after 'escalating my case'. Scripted and apathetic. After some more digging, no wonder so many people are dissatisfied with VZ customer service. I know it IS possible to get someone from engineering to come out and survey the area in such a situation because I've spoken to people who had managed to pull it off. They told me you just have to be relentless until you get the right rep who is actually willing or knows how to help. I shouldn't have to try THIS HARD to be a customer, and thus far I've decided to give up.

0 Likes
TNTRMSKD

@gs0b wrote:

@iMike wrote:

Good Luck

Just FYI, in NYC Verizon signed an agreement to provide 100% coverage to all 5 boros by 2014. You can read about it easily with some simple Googling. I'm not a betting man, but if I were I'd put my money on that not happening. They aren't anywhere close to that and 2014 is right around the corner.

0 Likes