Re: Netflix Streaming quality degraded over last few months in Plano, Tx?
wBud
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure what you are seeing, what I'm seeing is well documented, and quite dramatic.

During off hours, not prime time, I can get 80% of the speed that I happily pay for.  During prime time I see less than 5% that speed. This isn't Netflix traffic, this is large files associated with my work, transfers to servers I'm responsible for in Europe.  Other folks at my firm have gotten there traffic routed over Level3 or even HE, and their speeds bounced right back up.

This isn't me speculating about why my video is breaking up, this is an experienced network engineer diagnosing network congestion.

I am a fan of FIOS, and was happy to be moving back to where it was offered. I was until earlier this week on the Verizon 105Mbit premium plan, I've now dropped to 75Mbit, and will drop further if this continues.

It appears to me to be just plain stupid on my part to pay for a large pipe, only to squeeze dribbles from it when I need the performance I pay for.  A waste of my money.

An equivalent illustration of this would be paying for a daily buffet at a local restaurant, and showing up when they are busy and being told that you can only have a small garden salad.

I suggest others re-evaluate their Verizon speeds, if you can do it, downsize your speeds, maybe then Verizon will reverse this decision to treat their loyal customers so poorly.

0 Likes
Re: Netflix Streaming quality degraded over last few months in Plano, Tx?
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

@wBud wrote:

Not sure what you are seeing, what I'm seeing is well documented, and quite dramatic.

During off hours, not prime time, I can get 80% of the speed that I happily pay for.  During prime time I see less than 5% that speed. This isn't Netflix traffic, this is large files associated with my work, transfers to servers I'm responsible for in Europe.  Other folks at my firm have gotten there traffic routed over Level3 or even HE, and their speeds bounced right back up.

This isn't me speculating about why my video is breaking up, this is an experienced network engineer diagnosing network congestion.

I am a fan of FIOS, and was happy to be moving back to where it was offered. I was until earlier this week on the Verizon 105Mbit premium plan, I've now dropped to 75Mbit, and will drop further if this continues.

It appears to me to be just plain stupid on my part to pay for a large pipe, only to squeeze dribbles from it when I need the performance I pay for.  A waste of my money.

An equivalent illustration of this would be paying for a daily buffet at a local restaurant, and showing up when they are busy and being told that you can only have a small garden salad.

I suggest others re-evaluate their Verizon speeds, if you can do it, downsize your speeds, maybe then Verizon will reverse this decision to treat their loyal customers so poorly.

I will be cancelling my service as soon as I negotiate termination sans ETF. I have been fighting Verizon in regards to this for over two months now. My complaint with the BBB has been fruitless and has only resulted in a phone call from an angry woman by the name of {edited for privacy}, a senior analyst in the Verizon customer advocacy group. I can provide her number upon request if you would like to discuss your options with her. Don't expect much.

As it stands now, it would be cheaper for me to file a claim in small claims than it would be to pay for my ETF. I don't see why I would do the latter if the former is cheaper. There's also the principal of it. Why should I pay an ETF on service that's god-awful? Seriously.

0 Likes