Netflix Workaround?

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Netflix Workaround?

Message 1 of 25
(3,094 Views)
As a lot of you who try to stream Netflix in HD during prime time hours know, Verizon is doing their best to tick off their customers by allowing Netflix streams to degrade in quality (primarily the streams coming Cogent).

Has anyone figured out a way to get around this issue (you know, besides subscribing to Red Box instant as I'm sure Verizon wants you to do)?

If I don't find a way around this issue or if Verizon doesn't fix the problem on their end then I am going to cancel my Fios service.
24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: Netflix Workaround?

Message 2 of 25
(3,083 Views)

@anonFios wrote:
As a lot of you who try to stream Netflix in HD during prime time hours know, Verizon is doing their best to tick off their customers by allowing Netflix streams to degrade in quality (primarily the streams coming Cogent).

Has anyone figured out a way to get around this issue (you know, besides subscribing to Red Box instant as I'm sure Verizon wants you to do)?

If I don't find a way around this issue or if Verizon doesn't fix the problem on their end then I am going to cancel my Fios service.

I've experimented with dropping and rejecting packets from trouble hosts; however, that caused issues with setp top boxes such as the Roku. My only suggestion that doesn't include cancelling - which isn't realistic - is to watch Netflix via proxy or VPN.

I suggest cancelling.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 3 of 25
(3,072 Views)
I had heard that if you blocked certain IP addresses it would force the video stream to come a different way. Not sure if that is true or possible.
Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 4 of 25
(3,070 Views)

That's what I've tried though I haven't broken down the complete handshake via Wireshark yet.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 5 of 25
(2,981 Views)

Any Verizon support techs want to chime in?

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 6 of 25
(2,977 Views)

@anonFios wrote:

Any Verizon support techs want to chime in?

Good luck. At this point, I'm 100% certain Verizon doesn't even require its tech support to have a pulse in order to be hired. My roomba could do a better job 🙂

Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 7 of 25
(2,972 Views)

@Namronorman wrote:

... I'm 100% certain Verizon doesn't even require its tech support to have a pulse in order to be hired. My roomba could do a better job ...

Maybe, but for sure they require candidates to ignore inane comments.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 8 of 25
(2,963 Views)

@armond_in_nj wrote:

Namronorman wrote:

... I'm 100% certain Verizon doesn't even require its tech support to have a pulse in order to be hired. My roomba could do a better job ...

Maybe, but for sure they require candidates to ignore inane comments.

Thank you for understanding my frustration with the {word filter avoidance} service called FiOS. I appreciate your help! I've had over two dozen tickets opened since February due to various issues including improper installation from an installation tech. I feel that with the issues I've had thus far, I should be more than entitled to make a harmless comment and cancel my service sans ETF.

I have been a customer for over 5 years and this past year has been complete trash in regards to service. I've spent hours upon hours on hold, have had multiple techs come to my house, and have had techs flat out lie to me. Still waiting on a number of promised call backs as well.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 9 of 25
(2,873 Views)

A workaround is to get a VPN service and conigure your devices behind a VPN during the times where you need a troubled application. You can find some decent ones for some pretty decent prices out there. Use that until Verizon and Cogent (or some other backbone provider) sort out their differences. As a bonus, VPNs give you security while using Wi-Fi Hotspots or other public Internet connections.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 10 of 25
(2,824 Views)

Hi Smith, can you provide any more specifics about the VPN solution?  I thought the VPN had to be on both ends of a connection...?   Thanks.  (My current config is a Roku box hard-wired to the FIOS router.)  

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.