Netflix Workaround?
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2
As a lot of you who try to stream Netflix in HD during prime time hours know, Verizon is doing their best to tick off their customers by allowing Netflix streams to degrade in quality (primarily the streams coming Cogent).

Has anyone figured out a way to get around this issue (you know, besides subscribing to Red Box instant as I'm sure Verizon wants you to do)?

If I don't find a way around this issue or if Verizon doesn't fix the problem on their end then I am going to cancel my Fios service.
0 Likes
Re: Netflix Workaround?
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

@anonFios wrote:
As a lot of you who try to stream Netflix in HD during prime time hours know, Verizon is doing their best to tick off their customers by allowing Netflix streams to degrade in quality (primarily the streams coming Cogent).

Has anyone figured out a way to get around this issue (you know, besides subscribing to Red Box instant as I'm sure Verizon wants you to do)?

If I don't find a way around this issue or if Verizon doesn't fix the problem on their end then I am going to cancel my Fios service.

I've experimented with dropping and rejecting packets from trouble hosts; however, that caused issues with setp top boxes such as the Roku. My only suggestion that doesn't include cancelling - which isn't realistic - is to watch Netflix via proxy or VPN.

I suggest cancelling.

0 Likes
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2
I had heard that if you blocked certain IP addresses it would force the video stream to come a different way. Not sure if that is true or possible.
0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

That's what I've tried though I haven't broken down the complete handshake via Wireshark yet.

0 Likes
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

Any Verizon support techs want to chime in?

0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

@anonFios wrote:

Any Verizon support techs want to chime in?

Good luck. At this point, I'm 100% certain Verizon doesn't even require its tech support to have a pulse in order to be hired. My roomba could do a better job 🙂

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Namronorman wrote:

... I'm 100% certain Verizon doesn't even require its tech support to have a pulse in order to be hired. My roomba could do a better job ...

Maybe, but for sure they require candidates to ignore inane comments.

0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

@armond_in_nj wrote:

Namronorman wrote:

... I'm 100% certain Verizon doesn't even require its tech support to have a pulse in order to be hired. My roomba could do a better job ...

Maybe, but for sure they require candidates to ignore inane comments.

Thank you for understanding my frustration with the {word filter avoidance} service called FiOS. I appreciate your help! I've had over two dozen tickets opened since February due to various issues including improper installation from an installation tech. I feel that with the issues I've had thus far, I should be more than entitled to make a harmless comment and cancel my service sans ETF.

I have been a customer for over 5 years and this past year has been complete trash in regards to service. I've spent hours upon hours on hold, have had multiple techs come to my house, and have had techs flat out lie to me. Still waiting on a number of promised call backs as well.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A workaround is to get a VPN service and conigure your devices behind a VPN during the times where you need a troubled application. You can find some decent ones for some pretty decent prices out there. Use that until Verizon and Cogent (or some other backbone provider) sort out their differences. As a bonus, VPNs give you security while using Wi-Fi Hotspots or other public Internet connections.

0 Likes
ericb2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Smith, can you provide any more specifics about the VPN solution?  I thought the VPN had to be on both ends of a connection...?   Thanks.  (My current config is a Roku box hard-wired to the FIOS router.)  

0 Likes