Re: Netflix Workaround?
wBud
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem here is congestion.

Much of Netflix's traffic runs over Cogent, a backbone provider.  Because of a business dispute between Cogent and Verizon, Verizon is letting the exchange points, like New York, Chicago, and San Jose run "Hot" during prime time hours, that is over 50% capacity. This means that traffic, like on the freeway, backs up and slows down.

Since this congestion is way upstream from your house, there really isn't a work around for it.

You can pay for a VPN or Proxy provider, they will receive your Netflix traffic and hopefully route it to you via a backbone that isn't Cogent (no guarantee that is the case), you also don't know how congested the VPN or proxy provider is likely to become.

One option that can help, but not solve the problem is to configure QOS ( Quality of Service )  at home, this will give your netflix traffic the highest priority, and prevent say your daughter's youtube usage to slow it down.

Of course the best solution would be for Verizon to end this dispute and add more capacity at the exchange points, this is most often how this problem is solved.

db909
Contributor - Level 3

Any word when this will be fixed?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ericb wrote:

Hi Smith, can you provide any more specifics about the VPN solution?  I thought the VPN had to be on both ends of a connection...?   Thanks.  (My current config is a Roku box hard-wired to the FIOS router.)  

That's right. There's not much I can suggest doing for a Roku unless you're able to put it behind a router with VPN support, or can set up a bridge between a PC with a VPN connection and the Roku. It takes a bit of networking knowledge to accomplish.

To also note, trustworthy VPN services on the Internet are pay-to-use services. They don't cost much, but they do offer up information on how to set up the VPN. At least in this case, if you cannot get the Roku behind a VPN, you should have a great viewing experience from a computer/phone.

I'm posting from a phone at the moment, and describing how to accomplish this takes some time, but you should be able to find some guides online on how to do this 🙂

0 Likes
NetflixUser4

Agreed - just posting to add to the complaints regarding allowing Netflix service to degrade.  I will switch to whichever provider offers quality access to Netflix.  

0 Likes
Longshadows

Me: After 3 1/2 yrs of no problems my netflix is having trouble streaming during prime time

Verizon:  You need a new modem - that's why you can't stream - too much traffic on the I-net

New Modem:  Problem not fixed - shows continue to rebuffer

12 calls later - they tell me I have no problem,  speed tests during the day show all is well.  I tell them the problem is during the hours of 7 -11 pm.  Finally got a call telling me we need a field service rep to come out and update the node - please call 1-800-verizon to schedule an appointment - goes right back the customer no service circle.  These people are crazy.......  Does anyone else have problems streaming (lately) during prime time. 7-11 pm?

0 Likes
Sava333
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, always during prime time Netflix streaming is extremely low res.

Really not sure how to go about raising this issue further than these forums or calling Customer Service.

0 Likes
netflixtooslow
Enthusiast - Level 2

Comcast just cut a deal with Netflix this past weekend, so Comcast subscribers can finally get a decent picture. If FIOS doesn't in the next month, I will be switching to Comcast for sure!  Finally, thanks to the WSJ report last week (but NO thanks to FIOS), this information about how FIOS has been intentionally slowing Netflix for a long time is out there and confirmed.  Nowhere left for Verizon to try to hide this from its subscribers and tell us we don't know what we are talking about.  What are you going to do Verizon?  How many subscribers do you want to lose over this?

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

I using for now unlocator.com as my DNS provider. They are in beta phase, so it is free (for now).

However, Verizon better shape out quickly, because this is utter disregard for their customers!

0 Likes
toptek1

here a link to that deal

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/business/media/comcast-and-netflix-reach-a-streaming-agreement.htm...

My two queation now are 

Will netflix go up  ? 

more then likley yes,

There not  gonna  eat the cost ...  end useer all ways  end up eating it  but the only problem now is games and what not  how will that  effect hings , sense it is streaming like wow and  SWtor  ESO etc   they all  stream and use  alot of  band which from time to time ..

how will version deal with it ? sense this is  what   verizon wanted all a long .. 🙂

MAN i  really realy wish comcast had not come to my house to day and try and sell me ... i  did some looking after he left  , what i found so far is not good ...

0 Likes
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

@toptek wrote:

here a link to that deal

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/business/media/comcast-and-netflix-reach-a-streaming-agreement.htm...

My two queation now are 

Will netflix go up  ? 

more then likley yes,

There not  gonna  eat the cost ...  end useer all ways  end up eating it  but the only problem now is games and what not  how will that  effect hings , sense it is streaming like wow and  SWtor  ESO etc   they all  stream and use  alot of  band which from time to time ..

how will version deal with it ? sense this is  what   verizon wanted all a long .. 🙂

MAN i  really realy wish comcast had not come to my house to day and try and sell me ... i  did some looking after he left  , what i found so far is not good ...

According to news reports the deal with Comcast saves Netflix money compared to what they would have been spending with Cogent instead.

I didn't really understand much of what else you wrote.

0 Likes