Switch Account

Netflix blocked

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor BangMyHead
Contributor
Message 1 of 4
(1,032 Views)

I have been having troubles with Netflix with EVERY device in my home.  All other internet sites work fine but not Netflix.  Yet, I can get Netflix using cellular (so Netflix is up).  I saw other posts on renewing DHCP lease and turning router firewall off but these did not help.  I did a Tracert check and found all devices in my house were getting a one-hop to an Amazon.aws site where it ended. 

I called tech support and they told me I had to upgrade my router for another $13 a month to allow Netflix...nope, that makes NO sense since every other site works.  The tech actually encouraged me to switch to another ISP as a solution since I would not upgrade!  Seriously?  I ended the chat and will seriously explore that option based on that level of customer service.

I fixed the problem by deselecting auto-DNS in the router and I gave it a primary of Google (8.8.8.8) and secondary of OpenDNS (208.67.222.222).  Boom - Netflix is back in action.  In other words it appears that Verizon's DNS is blocking Netflix.

3 REPLIES 3
Platinum Contributor II Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Message 2 of 4
(998 Views)

What were you getting when trying to access Netflix?

I use Auto DNS and watch netflix all the time.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
MVP Edg1 MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 4
(963 Views)

Verizon DNS in PA area are also working for Netflix. 

Contributor BangMyHead
Contributor
Message 4 of 4
(909 Views)

I used to watch Netflix all the time too.  I was using Laptop, PC, iPad, phone on wifi, Smart TV...nothing worked on Verizon DNS despite many reboots, troubleshooting, etc.  Until I changed the DNS to Google.  Hmm.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.