Re: Netflix is slow lately on FIOS
AfriShutah

I recently upgraded my Verison FIOS service and now have a 50/25 Mb connection, supposedly. Sadly, I cannot tell any difference when trying to watch Netflix movies. It can take up to 5 minutes before a movie starts streaming, especially if the quality of the connection is indicated with the bars as "high" (this is pretty counter-intuitive). 

I have contacted Verizon, Netflix and the manufacturer of my Blu-Ray device (Samsung) which is hardwired into the brand new router Verizon sent me. Firmware is updated and I have done everything that is possible at this point. Verizon and Netflix keep blaming each other. Although I have no proof that Verizon is throttling delivery of Netflix content, I do find it curious that I am recenly bombarded with more and more emails and ads for Verizon's own content (movies). A mere coincidence?

I almost dropped Verizon (I have been a loyal customer since 2008) last week, in frustration over ever higher monthly bills and poorer service. I reluctantly accepted their offer to upgrade to a 50/25 Mb connection (my original connection was 20/5). Alas, it seems to have been for naught.

We may be going separate ways, after all ... and btw. I will also be dropping Nextflix until I can get a better connection.

0 Likes
iamloco724
Contributor - Level 1

Is there anyway to see the bitrate on netflix streaming through ps3 app? or to know if im getting what i should be getting besides looking at the picture

im just curious, i just started using netflix more so im just looking into things

0 Likes
Sava333
Enthusiast - Level 3

I believe if you hit the 'select' button on the PS3 controller it will show you the resolution. If you search for 'Example Short 23.976' in Netflix and stream that, it has the bitrate and resolution show up in the top left corner. It's kind of like a test video that you can stream.

Currently getting 560kbps on my 50mbps hardwired connection with a resolution of 512x384. So pixelated that you can hardly even read the numbers, wonderful!

0 Likes
iamloco724
Contributor - Level 1

Im on 150/65 or whatever the plan is and im getting super hd on ps3 app at all times of day sometimes it takes a little longer but seems fine

my issue is i just started really using netflix and started house of cards season 2 and sound quality seems to be my issue it at times sounds like a bad mp3 with swooshing sounds at the end of certain words

0 Likes
Orions675

My Netflix quality has been garbage on FIOS for the last two months. I have called customer support they never seem to have an answer. I have even had them connected to my computer and connect to my VPN and right away Netflix starts working fine. I cannot even get a single show to stream in HD unless I connect to my personal VPN.

Get your **bleep** together Verizon.

0 Likes
zygomatic

I too am experiencing what is clearly a deliberate move by either Verizon or Netflix. My streaming speed is near-zero at times; the bare minimum. There is no explanation for this on my 60/40 connection. Whatever the issue, I blame Verizon for not putting the Netflix caching appliances on its network. This is blatant disrespect for the customer.

0 Likes
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2
"I too am experiencing what is clearly a deliberate move by either Verizon or Netflix."

Only one company has something to gain by providing a poor streaming experience from Netflix (hint: it's not Netflix)
0 Likes
Doermer1

I noticed the last month my Netflix is not streaming HD anymore. The quality is horrible. I have commented on Netflix re each show/movie I've streamed. Now it looks like it's Verizon playing games. I have 25/25 high speed and ever since Christmas '13, I've had problems. I'm paying good money for high speed HD quality. I'd like this fixed! 

0 Likes
dbx1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been having the same issues and have gone through all the troubleshooting stuff.  Nothing fixes it.  There's only one explanation.  Verizon is throttling connections to Netflix.  More specifically, it's throttling connections to the server infrastructure that Netflix uses, called Amazon Web Services, or AWS.

Go to this web site: http://netneutralitytest.com/

From there, you can run speed tests against some AWS locations, or Linode servers.  If you live on or near the east coast, test AWS East, and then test the Linode server closest to you.  If you live on or near the west coast, test an AWS server near you, and then a nearby Linode server.  I'm on FIOS and paying for 50 Mbit down.  When I test AWS East, it starts at 25 and drops steadily to 10.  When I test Linode in Newark, NJ I get a constant 57 Mbit.

No way does that make any sense.  I'm a software engineer who's been working on server-based software for 7 years, so I'm familiar with the routine of troubleshooting a network connection, and I know some other engineers have posted in this thread.

No way am I paying $60 a month (soon to be $80 since the first year was discounted).  I'll cancel the service if it's this bad, I don't care if I have to pay early termination fees.  I'll get better service elsewhere.

If you want to know why Verizon is doing this, its because they want you to pay for their TV services instead of getting it from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and others.  A federal court on January 14 ruled that the FCC can't force Verizon and other ISPs to not throttle certain traffic.  In other words, a court said Verizon can throttle all it wants and the FCC can't stop them.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-14/verizon-wins-net-neutrality-court-ruling-against-fcc.html

Nobody should be surprised by this, but they should be **bleep** off.

Sava333
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not sure about the http://netneutralitytest.com/ test. When I test the AWS East server I get the full 50mbps that I'm paying for. Yet if I go to Netflix, the stream is horrible. Using the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+D trick in the browser window, I can see that the bandwidth measurement to Netflix is hovering around 1mbps which is unacceptable. 

During non-peak times the bandwidth measurement is usually between 20 and 30mbps and I get full HD. Once peak time sets in around 3-5pm it drops down to 1 or less than 1.

0 Likes