Re: Netflix is slow lately on FIOS
SteveVi
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same issue here.  I don't recall seeing anything about streaming throttling in my service agreement when I "upgraded" my FiOS service from 20Mbps to 50Mbps a couple of weeks ago.  However, since then my Netflix qualiity has sucked **bleep**!

Not happy and soon to be an ex-Verizon FiOS customer after nearly 10 years and THOUSANDS of dollars spent (average $130/month x 120 months = $15,600)

SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

I have done some testing in Internet Explorer.

Play a movie in netflix, IE. Don't maximize the window.

Left Click on image.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D

Read buffering speed from netflix.

At 9:20PM I get 560 kbps.

My friend down the street, with Cox Cable as provider, gets 3000 kbps - that's HD 720p (his TV is only 720p).

I am calling Verizon tommorow...

0 Likes
sparky571
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue with me on DSL. Proved today that the issue occurs during prime time. Every night for the last several nights best I can do is 500-600KBps with Netflix on my BluRay player. Speed tests consistently at 1.5-1.7MBps. If I switch over to another service (YouTube, Crackle, etc.) stream is at 1.5-1.7Mbps. So this morning around 7am I tried Netflix and it was at 1.5-1.7MBps.

0 Likes
GloriaS1

It has been very frustrating; I have also talked to Netflix who assured me I have more than enough speed. Funny, but I can stream netflix through the bluray player and it keeps "loading" over and over while trying to watch. But I can stream something else through the Bluray like a Popcorn Flix movie and it works just fine. YOU CAN'T TELL ME VERIZON IS NOT THROTTLING NETFLIX. And I sure pay enough each month to Verizon to get an equal signal for everything...

0 Likes
BigMemory

My Netflix has been very slow here in the Washington DC Area, i used to be able to stream HD all the time. Now it steps down to 2 or 3 bars.  I've heard that Verizon is throttling Netflix, is this true?

0 Likes
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2
0 Likes
garyalex1

Verizon says they're not throttling Netflix traffic.  This graph from Netflix says otherwise.  I don't know who's telling the truth here.  I just think that eventually this will be fixed but we'll end up paying for it.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I

@garyalex wrote:

Verizon says they're not throttling Netflix traffic.  This graph from Netflix says otherwise.  I don't know who's telling the truth here.  I just think that eventually this will be fixed but we'll end up paying for it.

Its a matter of definition.  Verizon is not throttling, which is artificially limiting traffic.  Of course they don't have enough servers in place to handle traffic, claiming that the other provider is not a peer and so must pay for the cost to upgrade connections.

Eventually new rules will be written, Verizon won the court case on the old rules.  And it hopefully will be clear on who has to bear the costs of such upgrades.  Bad news is the final costs always goes to the users.

0 Likes
SteveVi
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have a look at this page for a good laugh: FiOS Quantum Internet - The Fastest Internet Plans for You

Look at the description for the 50/25 Mbps service:

Upload and download in a flash. Plus, play games and stream videos virtually lag-free—ideal for watching Redbox Instant titles.

As has been alluded to before this really smells at a ploy to get people to switch to Redbox.  I smell an Anti-trust suit about to happen.

0 Likes
SteveVi
Enthusiast - Level 3

Curious to see how performance is during non-prime time (Sunday afternoon at 1:30PM Eastern Time) I started watching Terminator 2 in SuperHD.  IE reports bitrates ranging from 560kbps to 1750kbps with speeds mostly in the 1050kbps range. 

My Netflix enabled Bluray player displays resolution info rather the bitrate and it's showing resolution ranging from 388P to 480P--not even close to HD quality. 

Verizon; if you're listening you are about to lose a long standing customer to Comcast.  I've been a FiOS customer since 2006 and currently speand over $150 per month on triple play.  If you continue to **bleep** me off you'll lose my wireless business as well (currently over $225 per month).  So keep playing your silly little games and let's see just how many customers you lose over these greed motivated strong arm tactics.

0 Likes