Re: Netflix is slow lately on FIOS
DFGalletta
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found a device-dependence issue here!

I have a Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S-770 and an XBox 360. When I try Amazon streaming on the Sony, it works without buffering at all, no matter when we try it. Netflix is horrendous, buffering a minute after every 45 seconds of play, at its worst. HOWEVER, I found that using the XBOX 360 for streaming Netflix, it actually works without repeated buffering, albeit at poor video quality. We tried a PC and it also worked without repeated buffering. Those of you who are really interested in the program you're watching (House of Cards, anyone?) might be able to get the plot fix if you switch to a different device.

I signed the petition above and got myself even more upset at Verizon. I pay them $30 each for data plans for 3 cell phones plus $40 a month for FiOS Internet. I also have Verizon home phone and FiOS TV and subscribe to all mainstream premium channels. Total bill per month is over $500. What else could Verizon want from me to allow me to watch Netflix?

0 Likes
SteveVi
Enthusiast - Level 3

My guess is that each device implements the video buffer at bit differently.  A Larger buffer allow the device to compensate if the network connection functuation.  The device has a larger portion of the stream in its buffer and can continue playing the videoif the connection temporarilly degrades.  The downside is that the initial video playback takes longs since the device must fill its larger buffer before starting playback.

Regading monthly payments to Verizon; yup same boat.  I have TV, Phone and Internet, that with equipment costs me over $170 per month plus 4 smart phones on a wireless and data plan that runs me close to $250 per month.  Up until the Netflix crap I was happy enough with Verizon that I wouldn't have considered changing providers.  I am now so upset that I WILL CHANGE at the first possible opportunity.  I've spent more money with Verizon over the past 15 years than I care to think about and the Netflix debacle is unforgivable.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

More hope that this is about to be settled.  Cogent is saying they will pay for peering upgrades.

http://www.multichannel.com/distribution/cogent-ceo-we’ll-pay-peering-upgrades/149015

0 Likes
SteveVi
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wouldn't hold my breath.  Cogent is essentially offering to open addtional ports.  The ports aren't needed on the Cogent side--they're needed on the Verizon side.  Verizon's contention is that the Cogent / Verizon peering agreement is lopsided.  Verizon is moving much more data from Cogent than they are sending to Cogent.  Cogent essentially is offering addtional bandwidth to Verizon. 

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

This might go on for awhile.  FIOS wants to be paid by Netflix  like the deal Comcast just signed with Netlfix.

The issue before was that the big ISPs were ganging up on Netflix.  Now that Comcast is delivering good Netflix speeds again, Netflix may decide to not do a similar deal with FIOS.  The risk to FIOS is now there is another option for customes.  Dump FIOS and go to Comcast.

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon does not want us to subscribe to Netflix because:

1) They are losing subscribers to their not-so-premium movie channels (e.g. HBO, Starz, etc.)

2) Netflix competes directly with Verizon's PPV & Redbox Instant service

3) Cable TV subscribers are dropping cable TV altogether for just video streaming providers.

Verizon wants to maintain a captive audience and all the talk about Net Neutrality, CDN peering, etc., is just smoke & mirrors to hide the truth.

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

@Sava333 wrote:

Using the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+D trick in the browser window, I can see that the bandwidth measurement to Netflix is hovering around 1mbps which is unacceptable. 

During non-peak times the bandwidth measurement is usually between 20 and 30mbps and I get full HD. Once peak time sets in around 3-5pm it drops down to 1 or less than 1.

You are lucky. I get sometimes only 345-500 kbps.

0 Likes
Normx
Enthusiast - Level 2

April 6 2014

Greetings,

i just received my proxyvote for Verizon Com inc.

What a shocker that Verizon has asked the shareholders to vote againts network neutrality, or curbing lobbying activity, or anything that might be benificial for the customer. As soon as Netflix cuts a deal with Verizon, speeds will change. Of couse, Verizon will blame Netflix, Netflix will blame Verizon,  for the cost increase you, the customer,  will have to pay.

What ever you do, don't cut the wire. Just keep paying, and paying, and paying.....

eric-h
Enthusiast - Level 2

After being extremely happy when I first moved from Time Warner Cable to FiOS, I never thought I'd say this but I'm actually missing TWC. Their cable box interface was really clunky but I wasn't nickeled and dimed on equipment and fees on my bill. The FiOS TV set top boxes used to have a great interface and now I'm being spammed ads in the guide and it won't turn off the interactive TV feature up-sell promos. The VOD almost always becomes unavailable between midnight and 3am and Verizon hasn't done anything to ensure content can be updated from providers without VOD cutting out.

Then there's the internet. I must live in a great area, but in the year and a half I only had one TWC internet service interruption and that was caused by a drunk driver hitting one of their distribution boxes. FiOS on the other hand regularly goes out for 15 to 45 minutes in the middle of the night about once every week or two. And now the Netflix issues.

I'm paying a ton of money for FiOS services, I'm paying Netflix, and now Verizon wants to also get money from Netflix? In evenings many times I can't connect in the last couple weeks and when I can, the streaming quality is the lower rate SD content instead of HD. Multiple players can barely do 480P SD streams over Verizon. But if I route my connection over a VPN into other family's cable internet connection and back out onto the internet (also over their connection)... perfect Netflix Super HD streaming. I can actually get better and more consistent HD streams using a 4G WiFi hotspot on T-Mobile than I can through my FiOS connection.

Apparently calling tech support will do nothing except the basic troubleshooting, blame Netflix, contact Netflix, them blame Verizon (and rightly so), ad nauseam. And the multiple threads in this forum and reps likely aren't able to assist much. So my recommendation is write a letter to the FCC. Verizon wants to screw their customers over and double-dip trying to get money from both sides then I think some additional regulation might (unfortunately) be the best bet.

fcc.gov/complaints

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

I just paid my monthly FiOS bill of $212.00 and Verizon will begrudge me the $8.00 per month I'd rather spend for Netflix instead of Redbox Instant?

Give me a break!

0 Likes