Re: Netflix is slow lately on FIOS
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@geschinger wrote:

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

If netflix gets the free extra bandwidth that they should be paying for, then Point me to that line, because I want some too.

What free bandwidth?  Netflix is trying to handoff the traffic that Verizon's customers has requested.  Verizon can't handle that amount of traffic despite the fact that in the vast majority of cases it's customer are only asking for an extremly low percentage of the bw they are being charged for.  I.e. I have a 75/35 connection and it's frustrating that Verizon chokes when all I'm asking for is a stream of 1/25th of what I'm paying for.

That isn't the case,   and that isn't how peering agreements work.   

You should read this piece by Maggie Reardon on CNET, which explains what is really going on

0 Likes
geschinger1
Enthusiast - Level 3

It wouldn't matter, Verizon has simply dropped the ball on keeping their infrastructure up to handle the customers it's sold services to.

Case in point, Netflix has given in and paid the extortion demand from Verizon which theoretically should have solved the problem but it hasn't because Verizon is so far behind with their infrstructure upgrades that even though they are getting paid money that Netflix set a terrible precedent by paying, VZ still can't deliver...

"We are working on the first 13 cities, and we do plan to have everything done in 2014,"   

If Verizon were a good internet citizen, anytime congestion reached ~50-60% they'd ugrade the port capacity.  But because Verizon doesn't seem to care about doing right by their customers it is not uncommon for them to have ports that are 120-130% of capacity.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

smh

0 Likes
geschinger1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

That isn't the case,   and that isn't how peering agreements work.   

You should read this piece by Maggie Reardon on CNET, which explains what is really going on

I would suggest you read this article from Tim Wu...  While it's specific to Comcast it seems that it is the same scenario with Verizon.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I'll read yours if you read mine.

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2014/02/heres-comcast-netflix-deal-structured-numbers.html

FYI Dan Rayburn is an industry expert that frequently testify's before congress on such matters.

0 Likes
working4buddha

I have noticed an improvement since the deal was announced. But I mostly watch after prime time hours, usually starting around 11pm. Earlier in the year each episode would take several minutes to even be watchable. It looked like a RealPlayer from the 90s. If I rewound it would go through the same problem for a few minutes. Even at its best it never seemed to be as high in quality as it used to be. That was when I found this thread trying to troubleshoot my issues.

But now there may only be a few seconds of poor quality when the show starts and it seems to adjust very quickly. Overall it seems much better and I really wouldn't have noticed a problem if it had been like this. 

I am in the Philly area so maybe I just lucked out? Using a PS3. 

0 Likes
amarryat
Enthusiast - Level 3
Trying to watch Netflix tonight and it keeps pausing. I'm paying Verizon for 50mbit download, and this stream is probably 2 max. What again am I paying for?
0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@amarryat wrote:
Trying to watch Netflix tonight and it keeps pausing. I'm paying Verizon for 50mbit download, and this stream is probably 2 max. What again am I paying for?

50 down from the FIOS server closest to you when wired.  That's it.

www.verizon.com/speedtest/

0 Likes
amarryat
Enthusiast - Level 3
I get closer to 60 down on speedtest.net. But can't watch Netflix or YouTube without pauses.
0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Netflix warning

0 Likes