Netflix is unwatchable on FIOS
FortLeer
Enthusiast - Level 1

As a new customer to FIOS and their fiber network, I am disappointed that House of Cards, streaming from NetFlix is totally unwatchable on our FIOS connection! It buffers every ten minutes and sometimes hangs at 99% indefinitely. This service is too expensive not to work, very, very well.

I did NOT have this trouble watching Netflix on my previous cable service

Apparently, the providers resist hard data on this, but nevertheless this problem with Verizon is quantified by others, in articles even in the Washington Post, describing that Verizon's ability to stream Netflix at an acceptable speed is rated pretty low. 

I wish this had been more widely understood before we signed up!

Is anyone else having this problem in the New York Metro/Northern NJ area? To whom can customers send their complaints?

Re: Netflix is unwatchable on FIOS
Sean3040-2
Enthusiast - Level 3

What is your internet speed?

Restart your modem? 
Call tech support and request them to restart your ONT and run a health check on your modem.

Also if you don't have the FiOS quatum gateway, ask tech support to send it to you. 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The Netflix ISP index rates Verizon Fios as the fastest provider for streaming their services. http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Sean3040-2 wrote:

What is your internet speed?

Restart your modem? 
Call tech support and request them to restart your ONT and run a health check on your modem.

Also if you don't have the FiOS quatum gateway, ask tech support to send it to you. 

No modem in a fios setup.  There is a router that Verizon provided and that would be matched to the speed of the service the OP has.  If their service was 100+ they would have been provided with the newest router.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FortLeer wrote:

As a new customer to FIOS and their fiber network, I am disappointed that House of Cards, streaming from NetFlix is totally unwatchable on our FIOS connection! It buffers every ten minutes and sometimes hangs at 99% indefinitely. This service is too expensive not to work, very, very well.

Have you run the verizon speedtest (hardwired) to see what speeds you're getting and if so what were the results?
0 Likes