Re: Netflix performance on FIOS is *Pathetic*
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

This must be a regional issue as I'm here in the Boston area and have no and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

0 Likes
SteveVi
Enthusiast - Level 3

Give it time--you'll experience it soon enough.  I'm in Burlington and up until a couple of weeks ago had no problems.  Now, I rarely get anything in HD quality despite the 50Mbps Quantum service--pathetic.

0 Likes
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2
It's a huge problem in the Boston area (I live there)

What time of day are you commonly streaming? If you're streaming late at night (after midnight) or in the morning - or streaming non-HD content then you might not notice. Are you getting SuperHD?

While it's a problem across the country, it's been known to actually be a bigger problem in the densely populated northeast.
0 Likes
andada

I'm in the Boston area too. It's crawling so slowly! I get long waits and blurry images with Netflix. My contract with FIOS is up, so maybe it's time to switch...

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm in Westford MA.  

Typically I stream in the evenings, like now.

I see no buffering , no pixallations, no any problems.

Is it because my streaming devices are hard wired?

Is there something special I have to do to tell if I have a problem??

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@anonFios wrote:
It's a huge problem in the Boston area (I live there)

What time of day are you commonly streaming? If you're streaming late at night (after midnight) or in the morning - or streaming non-HD content then you might not notice. Are you getting SuperHD?

While it's a problem across the country, it's been known to actually be a bigger problem in the densely populated northeast.

How do you get SuperHD?  If I''m not getting that than I'll try it

0 Likes
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

@viafax999 wrote:

How do you get SuperHD?  If I''m not getting that than I'll try it

If you're streaming a show/movie with a SuperHD icon on one of these devices (https://help.netflix.com/en/node/8731) then you should be streaming in SuperHD (if things work as they should)

@viafax999 wrote:

I'm in Westford MA.  

Typically I stream in the evenings, like now.

I see no buffering , no pixallations, no any problems.

Is it because my streaming devices are hard wired?

Is there something special I have to do to tell if I have a problem??

Are you streaming HD shows/movies? If you're streaming older shows or movies you probably wouldn't notice anything.

Any compatible device with a reasonable wi-fi connection should have no problem streaming SuperHD so it's not an issue of being wireless vs. hard wired.

Depending on the device there are ways to manually check what stream you are currently viewing. (On Wii U, for example, press the - button).

You can also search for and play any of the "Example Shorts". They have the bitrate hard encoded into each frame so you can see what bitrate you are streaming.

The highest bitrate available for a show in SuperHD streams at 5800 kbps.

To see if you're affected by network congestion try these tests during prime time hours (around 8-10pm is a perfect time). It varies, but streaming problems for people usually happen roughly between 6pm and midnight. If you stream at other times of day (i.e. when most people are sleeping or at work/school) then you probably won't notice any problems.

If you feel like sharing details about what device you use to stream and any particular shows/movies I would be interested, though I completely understand if you wish to keep that info private.

0 Likes