Network Extender Disable Rename of SSID
tonymholt

Hello,

On the ActionTec extender, I am trying to disable the SSID rename so that I can have dedicated SSIDs in portions of my house.

On the FAQ for the network extender, it states below.  Notice the underlined/bolded part in the response.  How can I do this?  The link it mentions says nothing about performing this action.  It used to work but now its always auto-renaming my networks.  Is this a setting on the main gateway router, or a setting on the extender itself?  I've been able to log into the extender, but there are no obvious named settings that prevent this from happening:

Why does the sticker have Wi-Fi names and a password when it’s supposed to replicate the Wi-Fi name and password from my router?

All Fios Network Extenders support dual band Wi-Fi networks (2.4GHz & 5GHz) with its own default Wi-Fi Names and password. When the Fios Network Extender is connected to your home or business network, the extender receives the Wi-Fi names from your router and replaces its default Wi-Fi Names with those of the router. If you choose not to have your Fios Network Extender replicate the router Wi-Fi Names, you can disable this feature and use the Wi-Fi name and password printed on the Wi-Fi extender sticker. Please refer to the User Guide found at verizon.com/fiosnetworkextender for instructions on disabling this feature.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
SOLVED: Network Extender Disable Rename of SSID
Trendle493
Enthusiast - Level 2

Solved my own problem....  Needed to turn off SON and then could update the SSID on the extender manually.  Did need to set the selection for "Not Override by HDM" to "true" as well.

View solution in original post

Re: Network Extender Disable Rename of SSID
jonjones1
Legend

I know that you can access the extenders to change the SSID names, is this the device you have?

https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/pdf/8059_VER_WIFI_EXTENDER_QSG_final%20version.pdf

However at this link it says there should be a user manual to access the device and disable auto SSID. But I will be dammed if I can find it.

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/internet/fios/network-extender/wcb6200q-faqs

I will tell you that it takes me into a perpetual loop of no information.

normally if you know what the IP address is to the extender you can simply access it via placing the ip address into the web bar and it should take you to a interface page.

you can find out what the IP address is from accessing your router and under devices the extender will show the address.

hope you get it up and running.

0 Likes
tonymholt

I can log into the extender fine.  There are just no options that clearly say, "Do not merge SSIDs with the main fios router"  You can log into your extender by first logging into your router, looking at the active devices.  There will be an IP address associated with a "Coax" device called WCB6200Q.  THAT is the ip address you punch in to log into the extender.  Once there, you need to log in.  The extender's admin password will be on a sticker on the side of the extender.  This works well, I just can't figure out how to get to the setting to prevent it from merging SSIDs into the FiOS gateway's SSIDs

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I believe you simply go to the SSID name on the extender and override the SSID name with one of your own. Then by backing out you can check via taking a wifi device and see if the name you made is there.

i name my extended wifi with names similar to what my router gives with the _ext2.4 or 5. It shows up as four wifi SSID names. Not including a guest network which I don't use.

0 Likes
tonymholt

I tried this.  It works for a few minutes then recalibrates itself to my main router's configuration in terms of the 2ghz and 5ghz networks from the main router.  Very frustrating.

0 Likes
Trendle493
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did you ever figure this out?  I would really like to do the same thing (have a unique SSID on the extender).

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just getting an ambiguity off the table, which "Network Extender" are we talking about here?

E3200, WCB6200Q, or WCB3000N?

0 Likes
Trendle493
Enthusiast - Level 2

WCB6200Q.  Would love a solution!

0 Likes
SOLVED: Network Extender Disable Rename of SSID
Trendle493
Enthusiast - Level 2

Solved my own problem....  Needed to turn off SON and then could update the SSID on the extender manually.  Did need to set the selection for "Not Override by HDM" to "true" as well.

Re: SOLVED: Network Extender Disable Rename of SSID
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I though you already tried turning off the SON. No assumptions next time. In the manufacturer's Quick Setup Guide, it only discusses how to synchronize the SSIDs and passwords.